Aluminium AC cleaning action

This is almost a repost, but maybe I'll have more answers on single questions.

When tig welding aluminium with AC, I can see the cleaning action of the arc: the piece becomes shiny. However, as soon as I reduce the power of the arc (say, using a foot pedal because I do not want to blow through), I see that the shiny patch size is almost immediately reduced. Is it normal that aluminium that is cleaned by the arc oxydises again as soon as power is reduced even under the argon shield?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply to
jerry_tig2003

It is not actually oxidizing, it is just the liquid aluminum solidifying with a rough surface.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

It had better not be oxidizing, else your argon shield is inadequate. The "shiny patch" is molten aluminum. When it solidifies, it looks dull by comparison. So it is likely what you're seeing is just normal behavior.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Ah! Things suddenly become clearer. I think I will cheat my machine towards less cleaning and more heat. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
jerry_tig2003