TIG Aluminium AC cleaning.

When one welds aluminium using AC TIG, there is a choice of "balance" to allow for more of less cleaning. What to look for when welding to know if cleaning is sufficient? Should the puddle become shinny?

Where does the removed alumine go? Is it reduced to Al and O2 (just like in aluminium production) or does it simply stay around?

Reply to
jerry_tig2003

If your metal is pristine clean new metal, you can cheat the knob closer to max penetration. If the metal is dirty old oxidized scrap, cheat it toward max cleaning.

It doesn't really "go" anywhere. What you are doing is removing the oxygen from the aluminum oxide and turning it back into aluminum.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I have enough common sense to understand that. The question is rather: how do I see whether cleaning is right when welding?

So it is reduced to Al. This is how aluminium factory actually make that metal: by passing electricity through a crucible of molten alumina and flux. The metal goes to the negative electrode.

Reply to
jerry_tig2003

If your weld and immediate weld area (1/4" on both sides) looks clean...no problem.

If there is "black soot" on or around your weld that was not there when you started you have a dirt, shielding, or balance problem.

If this is not useful please save me the "I knew that" as applied to your last correspondant.

Patrick MTS

Reply to
PROFESSORLITE

I was not trying to be rude, just rephrasing my question. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Reply to
jerry_tig2003