Antispatter sprays

I have never used any anti-spatter sprays. I have a basic question about their use: can I weld through the antispatter? Or should I take care to cover the area of the weld before spraying this stuff, to keep antispatter away from the weld itself?

Ignoramus15573

just spray the shiiiii......stuff in the end of your (clean) nozzle, shake it a few times and start welding....you don't need to spray so much in there that it is dripping all over your work....if your collecting spatter in excessive amounts, that spray aint gonna help, you gotta change something else.

-- Big Ben BS266 the "I kinda like the anti-spatter jelly myself" Slug

Reply to
Big Ben

I was thinking about stick welding, and spraying the parts to be welded.

Ignoramus15573

waste of time, better off finding a rod that's better suited, or adjusting your technique....I see you used mostly 7018 on your latest project, and that rod ought not be spattering much at all, if properly laid down.....hell, I don't know, I aint there to see how you're going about it /shrug/

ymmv, my $0.02, imho...etc

-- Big Ben BS266 the "what the hell do I know, I only been doing it for 20 years or so" Slug

Reply to
Big Ben

What's that Lassie? You say that Ignoramus15573 fell down the old sci.engr.joining.welding mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Thu, 20 May 2010 13:38:12 -0500:

I think I've seen some that say "weld through" on the can. Probably the same as all the rest.

You could try spraying half of a joint and running a bead and see if the weld is affected.

Reply to
dan

What's that Lassie? You say that Big Ben fell down the old sci.engr.joining.welding mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Thu, 20 May 2010 13:44:17 -0700 (PDT):

I think you are thinking about tip dip. Used on mig gun nozzles. Anti spatter spray is used on metal to prevent balls of spatter from bonding to the metal.

Reply to
dan

On May 20, 6:59=A0pm dan mumbled:

why else would ya spray the shit into the nozzle?

never bothered with anti-spatter on a joint...makes it hard to light and taste funny...LoL....seriously though, even when running tests....you know the ones, limited space pipe socket (hor & vert) and the vert/ovhd plate where marks outside the weldzone are an automatic fail, hell, we just were not allowed to use that sort of thing in school...at that time, I didn't even know the stuff existed...heh, no burrs on the die grinder either, only wheels...hand file finish on the final weldment so it was smooth enough for a PT, then off to NDT for X- rays...

I don't know, yer gonna do what ya want no matter what I tell ya anyhow.....

-- Big Ben BS266 the "just keep doin' what yer doin', I don't care" Slug

Reply to
Big Ben

BTW, you can save a little money by using PAM, or any of the other kitchen sprays. I don't know how they affect the weld, but my impression is: not at all.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I asked the manufacturer of this Weld-Kleen. The answer is I can weld through it. I will use it everywhere from now on.

"From: T___ Z______

Yes, you can weld right through Weld-Kleen. It will not affect the weld.

T___ Z________ General Manager Weld-Aid Products"

Reply to
Ignoramus28763

Anti-spatter should not affect the weld at all.

I have found PAM or any other cooking spray is better. The welding anti-spatter sprays often contain nasty stuff like Methylene Chloride.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie, thanks. The manager at Weld-Aid said the same thing (about welding thru antispatter). It has an advantae of being paintable.

Ignoramus28763

Weld right through it. Some work pretty well. Others..not so well.

I just brought home a 12pack of big cans, Ill have to try and give a review

GUnner

Reply to
Gunner Asch