any prob boat superstr - 6010 full-pen vert-down, 6013 vert-down "wash"

Hi everyone

Got some expert advice in the UK. Wanted to reach out for North American practical experience - as seems much more use of 6010 and

6011. Demonstrated massive increase in productivity stick-welding seams / butt-joints in boat superstructure plates using 6010's to get full-penetration weld, with big high-current 6013 vertical-down to fill and "wash smooth" the weld bead. Plate is 5mm thick (13/64th's [3/16ths] inch) low-carbon mild steel. A lot of the increase in productivity is in grinding flush fast with a powerful 9inch angle-grinder, as opposed to the slow sculpting with delicate 4~1/2inch angle-grinder of "all cap" zero-penetration butt welds made with 6013's (a "fillet-butt", if you will).

The welding is outdoors with wind blowing in over the open water, and climbing over adjacently-moored hulls, so MIG is not an option (?).

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

'elp!

What I mean is - is this good? Am I doing the right thing? Is this what you do?

Please see it like my horizon in the UK - just about no-one knows anything but 6013 - that's "welding rods" to them! I'm told in North America "6010 and 7018 are the workhorses of welding". That's why I'm asking!

Yes I know folk who can check welding specs and know pipelines and oil refineries. But that's not it. I am asking - is this what you'd do in your daily bread-and-butter welding?

Thanks in advance

R.S.

Reply to
Richard Smith