Arc experiments

I'm teaching myself manual metal arc welding, and being a curious sort of fellow, I find myself hankering to experiment with pushing its boundaries

1) I've got some thick brass wire, up to 3mm in diameter. So I find myself wondering what the effect might be if I popped one into my electrode holder and laid a bead on steel with it. If I managed to get some kind of flux involved, might I be able to "arc braze"? I don't care if this is a practical technique for joining metals or not, I just like the colour of brass and wonder if it might create something interesting.

2) I've done some rather messy welds, since I'm still getting the knack. Rather than grinding them all away and doing them again, it would be nice to be able to just remelt the weld a bit without adding any metal, in order to encourage the metal to flow out a bit, rather than being in an ugly blob. What if I clipped a TIG electrode into my manual metal arc welder and zapped away with that? Since I'm not trying to actually join anything not already joined or add metal, I presume I can get away without flux... if not, perhaps I could make "flux rods" of pure rutile, or just paint the stuff around the area I'm heating before I do it?

3) My arc welder appears to be a high current DC power supply. Hmmm. I wonder if I can electroplate with it? Anodise? I wonder what would happen if I made a metal tank, filled it with an electrolyte solution, clamped the earth lead to the tank, and dried to draw an arc from the surface of the liquid. Gouts of steam?

Has anyone tried any of the above? How about any other interesting things I haven't thought of?

ABS

Reply to
Alaric Snell-Pym

Sounds like you might need an oxy/acetylene outfit. ;-)

If you like the COLOR of braz>

Reply to
Al Patrick

please feel free to try the following and keep everyone posted

Reply to
williamhenry

If you struck an arc with a brass rod it would vaporize in the arc. Since there would be no shield to keep the oxygen away it would be a rather smoky experience giving off zinc oxide fumes. If you strike up a tungsten without shielding gas it turns into a sparkler. Covering a bad weld is not uncommon. If you use a cellulose based electrode you can often burn through the slag inclusions and dirt. The reason is that this type of electrode produces a relatively large cloud of carbon dioxide gas to shield the arc as you attempt to burn out the messy weld and fuse the thing together. This method is not considered good practice and if anyone accuses me of doing such a thing I will Deny Deny Deny! Often welders will have a lower continuous rating at which they can be operated across a dead short such as the electrolytic tank you describe. This is dangerous stuff unless you are thoroughly familiar with the operation of your equipment. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Yeah, I expected zinc fumes, so would be doing this in breathing gear. I wonder if *all* of the zinc would thus burn off? Perhaps I could refine the copper back out of the brass ;-)

Oooh, sounds pretty! But not as pretty as my new "magnesium electrode" idea, heheh.

I'd just do it all outside at good few arm's length with a decent isolator switch... there are two kinds of people who experiment with finding the limitations of their equipment: Ones who do everything at a good few arm's length with a decent cutoff device, and those with missing parts :-)

ABS

Reply to
Alaric Snell-Pym

You can't do this with brass, but you might manage it with bronze.

The problem is that zinc _boils_ at a pretty low temperature and will effectively vanish.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

There is "MIG brazing", where the wire in the MIG machine is a bronze, typically "CuSi3" - copper with 3%silicon plus probably smaller other additions. Relies on shielding gas to keep arc and metla out of atmos. Works very well.

Other respondents have described how your scheme would be, at best, messy.

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

"Richard Smith" wrote: There is "MIG brazing" (clip) Relies on shielding gas (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^ What shielding gas, please? I'm set up with CO2, and I'd rather not buy another bottle just to play around. Also, since there is no flux, I imagine that grinding to a sparkling clean surface is necessary.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Shielding gas is Argon. That would be "commercially pure Argon" - the stuff you use with a TIG welder.

Wipe with a solvent for clean stainless and very-low-alloy steel - visually clean is OK (?)

Tried this process at UK branch of Kemppi (Finnish welding m/c manufr'r). Is good.

CuSi3 is something like Cu-3%si-1%Mn

See SIF in UK

Last bit "MIG~8 and MIG~968" They mention Ar20%CO2 but everyone else reckons pure Ar. - multiple other refs. to straight Ar. ??? Double-check, but I think TIG Ar sounds right.

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

I've got an old Soda Stream cylinder of CO2... perhaps I can figure out how to open it (scarey: it says it's at stupidly high pressure) and empty some into a sealed tub and let gravity keep it in there for a few tens of seconds.

I'll post about my experiences when I get time to try them :-) Rainy weather outside has been depriving me of opportunities lately... I had a dry period long enough to make a new pair of crucible tongs, however:

I have decided I need to get better at striking arcs. I can lay a nice bead when I get going, but when welding 25mm thich steel strips at right angles, all of the bits of slag and burnt mess from my repeated attempts to get an arc that stays tends to contaminate the area I'm about to weld.

One of my welding books tells me you can learn to strike an arc by just tapping the surface exactly where you want to start. My attempts to do this are always either too slow (electrode sticks) or too fast (arc starts, but the bounce from the tap takes the electrode too far away and it goes out again).

I will continue to practice...

ABS

Reply to
Alaric Snell-Pym