Becoming a certified welder in Texas

I have been welding for many years but am self taught. I can get things to stick together well and have built many different things that have held up through the years. I am now considering actually trying to make a living at welding but I know I do not have all of the skills I need but am pretty well versed.

I searched the web for how to obtain the Texas welding certification. I cannot find much information. There are a lot of schools like ATI and others that you can pay and go to their technical training for X amount of time and leave certified after paying a large sum of money.

I would like to take a few college classes to fill in the gaps I have and then take the tests required to become certified.

Does anyone know the location of the requirements for Texas welding certification? I see jobs listed for certified welders but no way to find out how to get certified. I do not plan on applying for any of these jobs, just do my own thing but want to be able to say I am certified. Some people will not hire you, even if you can weld the world together, unless you have "Certified" on your business card.

Any help will be appreciated.

Reply to
Bob

is there a such thing as "texas welding certification"? to become certified you must complete the welding test administered by an AWS approved testing facility. some schools will allow you to take the test without completing the course, and some schools wont. even if you can pass the welding test, i still recommend you take the course if at all possible.

although many will disagree, thats how it _should_ be. back in the

20's-50's my grandpa used to pull teeth for his migrant workers (as needed). id bet hes pulled scores of teeth and probably knows as much as is required to pull teeth. i still wouldnt let him pull _my_ teeth because he hasnt been to dental school.
Reply to
Nathan Collier

A lot of states, but not all, have a test and it usually a simple plate test and covers bridge work and I think(?) in some cases some structural work. i have no idea about Texas but in some states they won't give the test unless you have a job requiring it or are bidding work that does.

Not if you are testing to ASME, API or some other standard like Lloyds.

some schools will allow you to take the test without completing

If you just want your business card to read certified, then your quickest and easiest route is going to be taking a AWS plate test to D1.1, that should only cost you between $100 and $200.. After you go to work, depending on the type of work you do, you will have to take whatever tests required in that field, or maybe none at all for non critical work. I don't know much about classes that give a test, but from what I hear from others it is probably the cheapest way to test, especially if you think the class will help improve your skills.

regards, JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

im well aware of bridge attachments but you couldnt even test for it unless you were first d1.1. at least not here in north carolina in '93.

for that matter i could administer my own test and issue you a certificate saying you are "xyz company certified" (ive been "daniels certified, be&k certified....but all that is worthless on federal installations where D1.1 is required). within any scope of reason, AWS D1.1 is the way to direct him.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

D1.5 is the AWS bridge welding code, not D1.1, maybe you misspoke.

Do you really think that AWS is the only real welding cert out there? Do you really compare the API 1104 and ASME Sec IX codes (under which the vast majority of pressure piping and pressure vessels in the U.S.are welded) to a test you give in your back yard? As far as federal installations, I have done quite a few jobs for the federal government over the last 20 years or so and none required a AWS welding cert. They did however require some pretty strict pipe papers, all either ASME or API. Your AWS D1.1 is relevant to structural steel only, excluding bridge work. Don't try to make it more than it is, it's a simple welding test, the most basic one out there.And, probably what the O.P. needs.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

in '93 when we tested for NC bridge attachments we were required to have d1.1 first to even take the test. i dont know if that is per state code, particular job requirement, or the CWI administering the test.

i didnt say anything similar to what youve suggested i said.

walk onto ft. bragg and attempt to strike an arc without aws d1.1. ive been doing it for years and have to go through the same process every time. the same goes for ft. wainwright and any other base where ive bid.

where the hell is that coming from? i havent presented _anything_ in any manner other than exactly what it is. as you acknowledge below, it is the best recommendation for the original poster.

exactly why i recommended it. there was no need to get into any other crap (asme/api cert) that is basically useless information based upon the criteria that the original poster has given.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Hey guys,

I am a fabricator. I build gates, fences and tools like my hydraulic press and my treadle hammer. I also build trailers, but only ones I have used myself. I want to start building trailers for sale as well as building spiral staircases, gates and fences for sale. I want to be able to do repairs on trailers, apartment stairways and other jobs that I can do with a bobcat on a trailer.

Right now I have no plans of building bridges, submarines or cruise ships. I just don't want some apartment steps that I fix to break and someone yells "he is not even certified to weld this stuff." My ability to weld things together is not in doubt (to me) but there is always the lawyers sitting in wait and those that will not hire unless you are certified.

So, is D1.1 what I want to shoot for?

Thanks,

Bob

Reply to
Bob

exactly why i said the other recommendations were worthless and inapplicable for your situation. i dont know if its just to make themselves look smart or what but some folks like to give way to much information and pick other recommendations apart and in that process they usually do more harm than good.

d1.1 is exactly what you need.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Hey Bob - I'm in the same boat as you - I want to hone my skills, and it would be nice to get certified... But my day job doesn't require that I weld.. it's just a hobby for me - and I DO want to build a trailer - but I want the dang thing to be safe, too... (BTW - I'm planning on building a pop-up camper

- design is from Glen-L (

)

On that note, I've been looking at the Dallas County Community Colleges at their welding program. They offer an Assoc. in Applied Science in welding, as well as a "welding certificate" The certificate program is 4 classes. The drawback is that only MountainView has the welding curriculum, and it's on the other side of Dallas from me. I'm looking to start in the fall of this year

- if time allows.

Hey - Where's your shop? I recall seeing your blacksmithing & knifemaking website and was curious about your setup for welding.

Rex S. (Richardson, Tx)

Reply to
Rex S.

If you attach a "stairway" or "spiral staircase to an existing structure, then in most jurisdictions you will need a D1.1. it will be of no use in the " trailer, gate and fence" business. If you are worried about lawyers, you need to talk to an insurance agent.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

inapplicable

Yea, and when you get your coveted D1.1, you can post it on the internet like this guy.....gooooood griiiiieeeef! LOL

JTMcC, trying to keep this dude from posting missinformation, and losing the battle : )

Reply to
JTMcC

sure beats someone who takes every opportunity to try and make himself look good by throwing in as much irrelevant crap he can think of into the conversation.

misinformation? um, you also recommended d1.1. i just didnt need to cloud it with a bunch of bullshit to make myself look good. :-)

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Nobody here even knows me, no customers of mine linger here, I don't advertise my business or my website here, I have nothing to gain here. Many people will read every post on this newsgroup. I am interested in those people seeing accurate informaton. I'll give you an example: you posted, not too long ago, that flux core wire is run DC+, I responded that some FCAW is DC+, some is DC-, this is fact. Your responce to that fact was, "the OP doesn't need to know that, he won't be doing that type of work" (I'm paraphrasing here) BUT, many people other than the OP read the post and missinformation is missinformation weather you find it appropriate in a narrow set of circumstances or not. The fact is you post things that are just flat wrong, then try to defend yourself by claiming that the OP will never do that. You by the way are the only human being to ever post his little D1.1 papers on the internet, as if it was a huge source of pride, LOL.

Have a good day, JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

You compare the most stringent welding codes on the planet, ASME and API to some test you give in your back yard? Get real man, you have the most easy set of papers to get on the planet, you are soooo proud you put them on the internet, then argue with people that if you don't have a D1.1 you caint work on Ft Bragg! Give me a break, maybe you can't weld junk on Bragg without D1.1, but I guarantee you the real welders, welding high pressure critical applications on Bragg and Hood and lots of other places are doing so under much more stringent sets of welding papers than your beloved D1.1.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

.....except your own ego boost that you seem to gain by finding any little bit you can whether its relevant to the question at hand or not. there is _nothing_ new about your type i assure you....in welding or any other industry. the original poster of this thread made his intentions very clear from the start. anyone in the welding field already knew the correct recommendation would be d1.1 and after i blew the smoke and mirrors away from your initial bullshit even you recommended d1.1. so why try to add more than is necessary? thats pretty clear......your own ego. well, pat yourself on the back and feel smarter than everybody else here if you need to it wont change a thing about your ridiculous response.

i also quoted the SAME STATEMENT from the lincoln website (need i pull it up again?). maybe in your mind you know more about welding than lincoln electric. :-)

you are a LIAR. show me where i have said anything "flat wrong". my general statements concerning microwire polarity are quoted from the lincoln website and your RARE exceptions arent even worth mentioning in the thread where it was discussed. like i said you hunt for ANY technicality you can find to try to make yourself look better than the next guy, and theres nothing new about your type.

heh....maybe in your elitist "better than you" world d1.1 is nothing but in fact i _am_ proud of mine. maybe you should put up or shut up, but you wont. youd prefer to preach down on everyone else because youre just so great. .

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Put up what? LOL

JTMcC.

, but you

Reply to
JTMcC

lol.........no i didnt! i was acknowledging that there are MANY different certifications INCLUDING private company certifications! i dont expect you to see that because in your elitist "im better than you" world you dont make mistakes, but thats all it was.

we cant all be as great as you!

youre goddamn straight im proud of them. we cant all know everything like you, so we take pride in our accomplishments.

heh......try it. then again, since you wrote the book on welding maybe they will just unroll the red carpet for you once you pull up. :-)

heh.......i know.....the "real welders" like you. :-)

certainly.....and i never limited my own certification to d1.1. i only posted the d1.1 because it was relevant to that conversation. .....i guess thats why some of us are out there actually doing the work

and some of us just sit on the internet trying to find fault in what others are doing.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

you talk down on d1.1, lets see what you have that makes you so much better.

spare me the excuses, we both know you wont for whatever lame reason you come up with.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Just because I corrected your little mistakes, doesn't mean I think "I'm better" than anyone elser, I just know and understand my work.

Never made a claim on the net, our work speaks for itself, good or bad.

.....i

Make that trying to correct wrong info when ever possible, if you post the incorrect info, then yes, I will reply if it's in my area. And I've been making my living for about 20 years in this business, thanks : ) I just don't feel the need to put pictures of everything I do on the internet : )

If you are really this perturbed with me, then e mail me and I will gladly give you my physical address, so's you can deal with me like a man : )

JTMcC

Reply to
JTMcC

Good grief man, we test between 12 and 20 times per year to stay current, I'm not about to post the papers I carry on the internet, how childish are you? That would be incredibly stupid. If you want, send me an e mail address and I'll gladly send them over to you : )

JTMcC.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC