Where to get this dust mask?

I have seen some guys at work that wear a particular type of dust mask. They are high quality and made out of a neoprene shell. They have a cloth filter, and two small exhaust ports. They have a velcro closure in back on the strap that goes around the neck. They cover the mouth and nose, coming up to about where your glasses rest on your nose. They are kind of diamond shaped.

I have searched Google and entered every keyword I can think of. Someone makes them. Someone sells them. Can anyone here help lead me to a seller?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You might try the 3M website

look for respirators. such as the 5000 series. I use a unit like this with pancake shaped filters... Adequate for welding steel and they fit under a regular helmet. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

has some very good welding respirators. Check your area for a local distributor. Hope this helps.

Reply to
John D

hmm, sounds like other than OSHA approved; can you get a pic?? would certainly seem easy enough to make

Reply to
dogalone

Finally found them.

Not the OSHA or NIOSH type of thing, but for my application, just what I need. I drive a forklift in the Las Vegas Convention industry. I got one today, and so far, I like it. I was getting a progressive case of nasal congestion, sore throat, and cough. Blowing my nose and getting dirty looking stuff. I am sure it is all dust and particulate related.

I know other types of respirators are much better, but wanted to go with something a little simpler, and without canisters hanging on my face.

Thanks for all who helped me look. I thought of smog mask once during googling, but didn't look it up. Got sidetracked at that moment.

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

Please tell me it wasn't you driving the forklift last week... The one they are still talking about over on RATS.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

RATS? I was driving last week for the National Association of Home Builders convention in Las Vegas.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Don't be alarmed if you develop a bleeding nose. I found that full time use every day for eight hours dried up my nasal passages. The activated charcoal does that. Also the activated charcoal will remove ozone to a limited time. At the shipyard I worked at they did an extensive research project on the pancake type activated charcoal filters. They removed more than what they were originally intended to remove which was particulate matter. That mask arrangement looks much more comfortable than the paper filters or the regular neoprene molded units. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

Rec.Arts.Theatre.stagecraft...

Methinks it was the Anderson Windows Booth...

Somebody intentionally adjusting a truss tower with a fork lift, rig already in the air, big crunch, much bent and mangled aluminum, rig no longer in the air. Photos I saw sure looked ugly. Not a fork drivers fault, unwitting accomplice to an idiot as I hear it.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

Sounds kind of like mine, except mine has a fiber filter, not cloth. Rectangular shaped filter, formed to fit under a welding helmet. Got mine from a welding supplier. The velcro is nice, but I go thru a lot of vaseline to get a seal--I have a beard. Great for welding and heavy dust, like grinding and cutting pressure treat lumber, but I usually use the disposable 3M for light dust. Better seal on the beard. Wish I could get HC cartridges for it for painting...

I heard about that. I was working in the North Hall, and that happened in the Central Hall. We had a labor shortage. They were using inexperienced stagehands and carpenters to drive fork lifts. I was amazed that there was not more damage done the what was. I will try to get some more info tomorrow. We are setting up NADA in the same hall. OSHA was all over the place today checking certifications and watching people work.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB