Becoming a certified welder in Texas

"Nathan Collier" wrote

You have become boring. Apparently, I have done what I wanted with you, and that was to have some fun, and to help you show your ass. Both have been accomplished. You can run off to alt.atv now and be chicken hawk to your little buddies.

Now, off to Plonkville, where I believe most serious welders here have sent you already.

Will the last one who speaks to this moron please turn out the light?

Steve

plonk

Reply to
SteveB

based upon your questions about my penis, i can assure you that you havent. not outside your fantasy world anyway. :-)

ah yes, the newsgroup where they already ran you out of more than once because youre even a bigger ass over there.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

I did have someone make some very nice letters for me. That is because I don't have a plasma cutter yet. It was not from lack of skill. But I have never left a twelve year old home alone to finish one of my welding projects. Then came crying, "What do I do?" And THEN put it on the web saying, "Look what I built," instead of "Look what my twelve year old son helped me build."

You are a plagiarist. Look that up in your Funk & Wagnall's.

That's a dictionary, moron.

Reply to
SteveB

??? i thought you were done stevie. you did say "plonk" yet here you are again. i thought you "real welders" were above this sort of thing???

uh-huh.....sure steve. whatever dude. :-)

you probably have "better" things to do with 12 year old boys than teach them to weld, eh steve?

heh.....its really pretty sad how desperate you are at this point steve. letting my 12 year old weld a plate to the frame hardly constitutes plagiarism....but in your pitiful desperation at proving _something_ in this conversation i can almost see how you would take that leap. _almost_.....its to pitiful to really believe you actually tried that one. you told me over a year ago that i was "swine" because i didnt serve in viet nam. somehow the fact that i was THREE YEARS OLD when that war ended didnt seem to make a difference with you. i thought you were pretty goddamn ignorant then, but now i realize youre hopeless. youre just a bitter old man steve, and i pity you now more than ever.

now are you plonking me yet or what? :-)

Reply to
Nathan Collier

JTMcC:

You hit the nail on the head. It's the lawyers bills that break you while your trying to prove you did nothing wrong. If the person taking you to court is paying their own lawyers bills they won't be able to afford along drawn out legal challenge because insurance companies don't settle without a fight. Contingency lawyers don't usually take on frivolous cases when they are paying all the up front costs.

If you can't afford insurance don't go into business and don't assume trying to limit your liability by incorporating will protect all your assets either.

Jimbo

Reply to
Jimbo

Just a thought from over the pond, and for this I will have to take an example from the company I work for in radio communications.

Some of the work we do invoves the use of Cherry Pickers or MEWP's, and sometimes even includes the fact that some of us have to climb towers to put up and service aerials. Now the company can not get insurance for these activities unless we are trained by some recognised body to some form of competance and understanding of the risks and safe methods of use. I guess the same as a folk lift operator has to have a licence before their insurance is valid.

OK now my point.

If you are trading in your own right and providing a service to which you require insurance, you class welding as one of those services then do you not have to prove to the Insurance company that you have achieved some level of proficency and knowledge of the work to undertake risk assesments etc. Would not undertaking some form of certifacation from a reputable body to show the insurance company be required.

Sorry long winded I know, but something that crosses my mind when I consider building anything.

-- Cheers Adrian.

Reply to
Adrian Hodgson

Reply to
Jimbo

Adrian Hodgson:

When I was trying to get insurance for my sons new business I thought showing them his welding certificates and proof of training would be a help. They where not the least bit interested all they wanted us to do was guarantee we wouldn't work on automobiles and do no off site welding. The premium for a part time business was $2200.00 Canadian.

Initially the insurance company didn't want to insure him because he was planning on building metal chairs etc. I guess they where worried about some drunk falling off the chair and suing us.

I have another son who is an insurance adjuster and he told us the frivilous law suits that we used to read about in the USA are becoming an every day occurance in Canada.

Reply to
Jimbo

That is an interesting question and I've never given it any thought before, but I didn't and I don't know anyone who has had to prove any level of competence to the insurance company. Or even show that we even weld at all. I would assume (?!) that they rely on the various codes in effect on critical welding jobs to police the quality of work for them. An example would be the stringent regulations of the federal Dept. of Transportation and the various state Corperation Commissions (or like named division) that have to be obeyed in pipline work. They in effect are assuring that substandard work isn't put into service, which helps the insurance company.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Insurance companies are really very sloppy in many of their business practices. My son the adjuster said that one really big loop hole available to a person who is refused coverage after a lose is whether or not they signed a copy of their yearly insurance renewal.

Not signing the policy doesn't mean your not insured. If the company took your money your insured but any changes in the policy or condition out of the ordinary that you didn't agree to by signing the policy means your in a good position to fight back and win. The president of a very large US based insurance company admitted that the administration cost of having everyone receive a certified copy that had to be signed and return would cost the industry millions, so they don't do it.

Jimbo

Reply to
Jimbo

even better, you can claim to be some great welder and then come on here soliciting other welders to build the simplest of things for you. :-)

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Or, like you, I could just leave my 12 year old child home alone to do the project for me. Duh. And then come here and piss and moan and ask how to straighten it out. Double Duh. And then post the picture on the net and take all the credit for all the hits. DOH!

The letters I bought in this newsgroup came out great! They were delivered in a Priority Mail envelope. They will be mounted soon. They were tax deductible, which they wouldn't have been had I made them myself. I didn't even get my hands dirty.

BTW, I routinely farm out fabrication. As Clint Eastwood said, " A man has to know his limitations." I double the price that a supplier charges me, so I make money for doing nothing. Sometimes I use a supplier because I don't have the machinery to make what I need. Sometimes I don't have the time. Sometimes it is infinitely easier to just buy it already made. And sometimes, I simply don't know how. I know that is not one of your problems, because you know everything. Do you ever get annoyed with those of us who don't know it all? It is my experience that people who know it all usually have little patience for those who don't.

Please compliment your son on the nice trailer he built. I know he won't get any credit, thanks, recognition, notice, appreciation, or reward from his dad. Did you pay him anything, or do you routinely use child labor for things you can't do? My, my. Leaving a twelve year old home alone with an incorrectly wired welding machine.

Did you buy any manufactured parts for your baby trailer? Why didn't you fabricate them all yourself?

You are a piece of work, sir. I suggest you get back on your meds, or off them, whichever is causing you to behave thusly.

Have a nice day.

How did you get past my filters? Munge your name again? Well, back you go. REplonk!

Reply to
SteveB

lol...once again you are so pitiful that now you have to LIE just to insult me. :-)

of course they did......they were built by an actual welder, not an online superstar. :-)

now of that i have _no_ doubt!

lol...youre pitiful....but thanks for the compliment on my trailer. i realize you wouldnt know the difference anyway, but its nice to hear that you appreciate my work.

liar!

Reply to
Nathan Collier