Can one breathe industrial oxygen

And then happily blow up the engine of the fire truck that responds..

Reply to
Jim Stewart

They vacuum out the cylinders before refilling. Putting high pressure pure O2 on top of an unknown gas is dangerous.

Reply to
Pete C.

If any water has condensed in the tank the contents will be at 100% humidity for the ambient temperature, the same weight of water vapor per volume as in saturated air outside the tank.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

That's my read on it as well.

Reply to
clare

I remember once when my wife was in an emergency room holding room noticing bottles marked:

"Distilled water -- Federal law prohibits dispensing without prescription."

And what is medical about distilled water which should require the control of a prescription? :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

It's "USP," and therefore costs about 1,000,000 times as much as the stuff that collects in your dehumidifier catch bin.

That, and the government is being run by psychopaths.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In theory you could run the O2 to near empty while still having acetylene pressure and in theory you could get a little acetylene to travel all the way back up the hose to the O2 regulator and perhaps into the tank. All theory, and the flashback preventer check valves would further reduce the chances of it actually happening. In any event the gas supplier is going to vacuum down the cylinder before filling with fresh O2 since putting that O2 on top of some potential mystery gas is a hazard to them.

Reply to
Pete C.

Hi Garrett, That's neat, any idea what Frequency it vibrates at? 20hz, 100hz, 500hz? Does the reed at any point in the horn, close the horn and then open as it moves causing the vibration? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

It depends on your paranoia I guess. I think the odds of getting acetylene (or other contamination) into the O2 cylinder are similar to the odds of being hit by a meteor, non zero, but absurdly low. I know of exactly one confirmed report of a person being struck by a meteor, I believe there is also one confirmed report of a cow being killed by one.

Reply to
Pete C.

A wild-ass guess would be that it was packaged to dilute I.V. solutions.

Another wild-ass guess would be so they could bill Medicare $600 for it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

And one hospital in NY state got a big problem of not having MSD's on a bottle of deionized water.

John

Reply to
John

ANY acetelene in an oxygen tank would quickly become EXTREMELY unstable. Like "BOOM!!!!"

Reply to
clare

Dare i ask the price difference between "industrial" and Aircraft/Medical oxygen?

Reply to
Brent

The welding stuff will cost you anywhere from 16c a cubic foot to (the sky is the limit) because it is often priced at whatever the welding shop thinks they can get.

Tractor Supply Co charges US$1.10 a cubic foot to refill a teensy 20 CF bottle and US$0.16 a cubic foot to refill a generous 251 CF bottle.

Search Term:'Oxygen Gas Contents'

I haven't bought the 'medical' grade stuff in a *long* time so I can't quote on that.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

If you have to ask, you can't afford it............... ;-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

As I recall, about 3x...

Brent wrote:

Reply to
CaveLamb

I compared prices around here (Philadelphia area) last year and the difference was about 9x for the closest tank sizes available, 3x as much gas in the smallest available industrial bottle for 1/3 the price. Of course it all comes out of the same LOX tank and is absolutely the same gas.

I did some start-up troubleshooting and testing on a relocated air separation plant a couple decades ago. The plant provided industrial, aviation and medical gas, all from the same storage tanks and all with the same purity requirements. The only significant contaminant (and the only one routinely tested for) is nitrogen, allowed at something around

1% (exact limit forgotten). The other significant components of air, mostly CO2, water and hydrocarbons, are removed in low temperature adsorbers to extremely low levels, because anything that gets through will freeze in the heat exchangers or expander and gum up the works, forcing an expensive plant shut down.
Reply to
Glen Walpert

In practical terms thnere is no difference.

Reply to
clare

Sorry - missed the "price". Answer, from negligible to considerable, depending on where you get it and in what quantities

Reply to
clare

First off

it seems some list members are pilots.

In my plane the manuals say i can hit the aviation legal Oxygen range....Barely

Its one of those things that if i had an opportunity to test i would take up the challenge to see if it was possible but practical reality says the cheap answer is to fly where its cozy and safe to breathe the air and never worry about it.

Plus the view is better than being way up high

Reply to
Brent