cellulosics and pipewelding - what should the keyhole be like?

Simulating a large pipe-weld, stovepipe technique, as best as I know how by downhill-welding some V-prepped flat plates, using 6010 or 6011 electrodes, I get a "keyhole" (a melted hole through the root of the weld preparation while welding).

What should it be like? I have sometimes heard a "gurgling" sound and you can see a "blast" of arc / flame / whatever out of the back / undersurface of the weld. Is this good? What should I be looking for?

Do 6010's and 6011's "handle" differently, when using DC? I gather xx10's -> sodium in flux so DC only whereas xx11's -> potassium in flux so AC or DC. The 6010's at the Tech Col. I go to look somewhat abandoned and unloved, so can't honestly know the ans by trying. Col. has only just got DC welding m/c's by reason of getting inverter stick-welding sets.

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith