cellulosics and pipewelding - what should the keyhole be like?

Simulating a large pipe-weld, stovepipe technique, as best as I know how
by downhill-welding some V-prepped flat plates, using 6010 or 6011
electrodes, I get a "keyhole" (a melted hole through the root of the
weld preparation while welding).
What should it be like? I have sometimes heard a "gurgling" sound and
you can see a "blast" of arc / flame / whatever out of the back /
undersurface of the weld. Is this good? What should I be looking for?
Do 6010's and 6011's "handle" differently, when using DC? I gather
xx10's -> sodium in flux so DC only whereas xx11's -> potassium in flux
so AC or DC. The 6010's at the Tech Col. I go to look somewhat
abandoned and unloved, so can't honestly know the ans by trying. Col.
has only just got DC welding m/c's by reason of getting inverter
stick-welding sets.
Richard Smith
Reply to
Richard Smith