Change of profession

Hello Ernie and all you other weldors out there. Just want to tell you that this group has played a significant role in my ongoing change of profession. I have worked for 16 years as what we in Sweden call "an office rat". Sitting day out and day in in front of the computer screen, at the company computer help desk. During a project involving a recumbent bike, I found this group and realized how interesting the world of welding can be. When I was involved in the latest employee reductions, I wasn't to upset because there was some financial help from the company. With 12 months of pay I now have the chance of getting another education and have chosen to learn how to weld. The class I'm taking is for one year and will give me licenses for stick, MIG/MAG, TIG and gas. We will work on "ordinary steel" and stainless and I hope to get a peek at aluminum/magnesium at the end. This is my first week and I have spent it getting to know the TIG for the first time. Three more weeks with gas, MIG/MAG and stick, and then it's desision time. Do I want to continue with the rest of the year? I probably will. I just might have to accept a small reduction in pay when I take a job as a weldor compared to my old job, but I don't care. I hope to be able to continue to get lots of useful info from the group and maybe be able to contribute to some degree some time.

regards göran

Reply to
Göran Thyberg

You will find that many of your old skills will come into play as you work in an industrial situation. When I got out of high school Waaayyy back we were told we would change professions three times in our life. I have lost count how many different jobs I have had in the last forty years. My daughter was told seven changes would be typical for her. She is on her third or fourth now I think. ( 27 years old) Locally there is a great demand for millwrights who can weld, carpenters who can weld, mechanics who can weld and on it goes. Randy

regards göran

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Just my 2 cents worth.......

Did exactly the same as you are doing now, but 12 years ago.

Started my own business and never looked back........ever!!

I now own a fully fledged Sheetmetal & Welding business in Adelaide. My brother & myself are kept very busy. Raised 2 kids...... one's in Uni....... bought a house....... get to go away on weekends...... and have the best toy shed that a guy could want ( my business & tools ).

It hasn't always been like this, when you start out on your own, expect to put in shitloads of hours, lose a little bit of money & sleep, but have the satisfaction of going to work every day and enjoying what you do.

After 15 years, I still get a buzz making the same shit....... I just love to make things out of metal, and to get paid for doing it is even better.

Wish you the best of luck.......

Reply to
Ian Bee

I never would have guessed 20 years ago when I graduated form high school, that I would end up as a welding instructor at a community college.

I started out as a machining/welding student, thne went to gunsmithing school, then to Purdue to be a metallurgical engineer, but somehow ended up with a degree in Theatre Tech.

10 years as a professional union stagehand, and now I end up as a welding teacher.

I wonder what I will do when I grow up.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

AND, if you build things, you get to see them for years and years and years. I did some work at Hoover Dam, and it will probably be visible for 100 years. Every time I pass I point out what I have made to my passengers, unless I kow they have been told the story before. When I drive around Las Vegas, I still see things I made 20 years ago. I think "Still looks nice." Sometimes it is gone, and I think, "Another one bites the dust." It is a nice feeling to make something that is functional or decorative that lasts so long.

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler