Cleaning a crack before welding

Hi all, My trailer door latch handle is half broken. One of the tabs is still holding the pivoting handle the other is broken off. From what I can tell is it aluminum. The problem: the broken tab has oxidized. The gap is maybe 1/6 inch. What is my best bet for cleaning the broken pieces? Acid? Mechanical would have to be awfully small. Thanks, Michelle

Reply to
Michelle P

Most such handles are actually pot metal, i.e. a zinc compound. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

That might explain the obvious oxidation...in my limited experience, AL doesn't usually oxidize very visibly...compared to how that pot metal stuff that I've seen in handle before will...white, caked oxidation.

FWIW.

--HC

Reply to
HC