Connecting Dissimilar Metals

I'm working on a piece of technology that demands one part being either copper or brass, and the other part be aluminum. I intend to have the two items screw into each other. Is there any kind of foreseeable problem joining brass and aluminum in this fashion?

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

Depends on the application.

Reply to
Bullfrog

Things to consider.

Specific alloys of brass and aluminum Temperature. Humidity. Any chemical contact.

Some aluminums react rapidly to some brasses or bronzes.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I intend to use common 6061 aluminum and probably copper or some copper alloy like beryllium copper-- brass only as a last resort. What's the worse that can happen with a copper/aluminum combination?

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

Galvanic corrosion at the points of contact. Is there no way to use a plastic spacer between them or use a less reactive metal, like Stainless steel, nickle, or titanium.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

doesn't turn a profit.

-tony

Reply to
tony

intend

fashion?

some

resort.

combination?

I need a material easily soldered or brazed to a copper ring, and incidentally, a material in price comparable to copper.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Hubbard

i like ernie's idea, but i got the impression that the pieces would screw into eachother like fittings and not together like a flange. in which case a threaded plastic bushing might be helpful, pressed onto the male end and then threaded as one piece. this would, of course, add the extra cost of plastic and joinging.

i have heard of situations in which either electrolytic coatings were used, or even screws / moutning hardward of a 3rd dissimilar metal who's presence can slow (but not stop) detrimential chemical reactions.

sorry i'm not enough of a chemist to tell you more about your particular situations. maybe there is some sort of chemistry forum?

-t> >

Reply to
tony