CURVED STAIRS

I am not sure what you mean here. I fit has a center post it is a spirale. If it doesn't, it is a sweep. You are implying that the magnitude of the internal radius affects it's name.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
Curved stair does not have have the same radius going up. Nor does it need to be the same width.
Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
OK so you would differentiate between a circular, oval or parabolic sweep.
I have built all 3 types.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
Does anyone know of any web sites describing the layout and fab of curved stairs. I have done many spiral, but no curved. I use to have a very good article from the "Fabricator" magazine from NOMA but lost it. In it they described how to do them and gave all the math formulas.
I have done lots of curved stair rails and my local rolling shops kind of cringe when you tell them you want something rolled in a spiral.
Reply to
dodger172
So this terminology is used on shop drawings?
JTMcC.
Reply to
JTMcC
That is the terminology used on the shop drawings?
JTMcC.
Reply to
JTMcC
Wayne, surely you posted those links with tongue firmly in cheek? The first is about hand carved wood stairs that they say "might meet some codes" The second uses the term "sweep step" in an electronic sense, having nothing to do with conveying personel from floor to floor. All in all a great google effort on your part .
JTMcC.
Reply to
JTMcC
Evidently not, I'll stick by my dated 4 types/4 classes stance, until shown otherwise.
JTMcC.
Reply to
JTMcC
Plus they were listed in appropriate order. ;-)
Did you see this
and this
I think that what every Route 66 Easter Island head needs to compliment it is one of those scrap-metal welded dinosaurs. Wish I had time.
Wayne
Reply to
wmbjk
I couldn't let your efforts go unnoticed, you obviously put a lot of effort into that one, it made ME laugh at least,
Yes I read that in the paper, but I hadn't looked at his website. Now that it's made famous by the Miner, I expect the high school kids to start painting it in different schemes any day now, shoot, I'm tempted to myself!
JTMcC.
Reply to
JTMcC
no, but AISC would be one place to start looking.
JTMcC.
I have done many spiral, but no curved. I use to have a
Reply to
JTMcC
I see that NOMMA has a video titled "curved stair fabrication" for 65 bucks. Might be worth it.
JTMcC.
Reply to
JTMcC
Hey they have another video titled "Stair Layout and Planning" that covers spiral, circular and curved. 65 bucks. I'm guessing you already knew all this but you're looking for something free , right?
JTMcC.
JTMcC.
Reply to
JTMcC

I go by the head about 10 to 20 times each week, many times before the sun comes up or after it goes down so I think he should put propane cannons in the eyeballs that shoot 20' flames every time I go by.
JTMcC.
Reply to
JTMcC
What a great idea! He'd need a sign though.... "you have to be less than this tall...." :-)
Wayne
Reply to
wmbjk