Drying 6013 electrodes

I have a half box of 6013 electrodes which got lost in the shed for a
while. Normally I keep electrodes in the house, but as I say, these got
lost so they've spent about 5 years in an unheated shed. I wouldn't
bother with them except that they're 1/16" electrodes, which are handy
for welding 2 mm plate, and the welding shop which used to sell them
locally closed down. They seem to be showing a bit of a powdery white
deposit on the surface of the flux, perhaps something which the damp has
drawn out?
Can these electrodes be dried successfully, or should I get some new
ones? Suggestions would be appreciated.
Best wishes,
Chris
Reply to
Christopher Tidy
Ernie's rule: take one, bend it in two so the coating breaks off, and look at the bare rod. If it's rusty, toss it. Else dry it and use it.
GWE
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Grant Erwin
Thanks Grant. I'll try that. Any idea about the temperature and duration of cooking necessary to dry them?
Best wishes,
Chris
Reply to
Christopher Tidy
Chris
Reply to
Christopher Tidy
The white stuff is silicate (binder) that has leached out over time. It isn't anything to worry about, and can even be wiped off with a slightly damp rag if needed. Unless rust is present, no need to "dry" the 6013.
Reply to
Phil Thomas
"Grant Erwin" wrote: Ernie's rule: take one, bend it in two so the coating breaks off, and look at
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Leo's rule: Weld with it. If it works, use it.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
My rule is "why screw up an expensive project with cheap consumables?" I'm even fussy on $8 pails of drywall mud.
Leo Lichtman wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
Chris, put the electrodes on top of the refrigerator for a week... This is usually a warm, dry place with heat from the exchanger flowing up the back of the fridge... Or, 4 hours in the electric oven set at 250 degrees farenheit... Or in a cardboard box with a 25 watt electric light bulb - use common sense so you don't get a fire... Or, fall is coming and you will be using the heater in the car... If you are going someplace put them on the floor near the heater outlet... Or in the house somewhere on the furnace... On top of the water heater... Lotta ways to skin the cat...
denny
Reply to
Denny