Drying 6013 electrodes

I have a half box of 6013 electrodes which got lost in the shed for a while. Normally I keep electrodes in the house, but as I say, these got lost so they've spent about 5 years in an unheated shed. I wouldn't bother with them except that they're 1/16" electrodes, which are handy for welding 2 mm plate, and the welding shop which used to sell them locally closed down. They seem to be showing a bit of a powdery white deposit on the surface of the flux, perhaps something which the damp has drawn out?

Can these electrodes be dried successfully, or should I get some new ones? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Ernie's rule: take one, bend it in two so the coating breaks off, and look at the bare rod. If it's rusty, toss it. Else dry it and use it.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grant Erwin

Thanks Grant. I'll try that. Any idea about the temperature and duration of cooking necessary to dry them?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

The white stuff is silicate (binder) that has leached out over time. It isn't anything to worry about, and can even be wiped off with a slightly damp rag if needed. Unless rust is present, no need to "dry" the 6013.

Reply to
Phil Thomas

"Grant Erwin" wrote: Ernie's rule: take one, bend it in two so the coating breaks off, and look at

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Leo's rule: Weld with it. If it works, use it.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Reply to
RoyJ

Chris, put the electrodes on top of the refrigerator for a week... This is usually a warm, dry place with heat from the exchanger flowing up the back of the fridge... Or, 4 hours in the electric oven set at 250 degrees farenheit... Or in a cardboard box with a 25 watt electric light bulb - use common sense so you don't get a fire... Or, fall is coming and you will be using the heater in the car... If you are going someplace put them on the floor near the heater outlet... Or in the house somewhere on the furnace... On top of the water heater... Lotta ways to skin the cat...

denny

Reply to
Denny