Gastric reflux bed: Welder make one?

I am male age 50 and have gastric reflux or what is
known as GERD
I have head of my bed elevated abt 12" or so stomach
fluids wont erode my esophagus at night while asleep.
Bed lifts are not a workable solution and I have been
thinking more and more abt having a special bed frame
made from aluminum and by a local welder.
I know nothing abt welding.... period. How hard would
it be to have a frame made from aluminum and such that
the head is 12" higher than the foot?
Reply to
me
It would be completely trivial for you to have it done. What might be hard for you is paying for someone to design it, paying for the materials, and paying to have it fabricated.
With money, it's all real easy.
Grant
Reply to
Grant Erwin
You did not say where you are located. It would be a relatively quick job to make a bed frame from steel. Aluminum would be a little more expensive but also do-able. You could probably make your own without welding, just drill and bolt the joints. Cut with a hacksaw.
I have built bed frames from wood also. The finishing takes some work, but it is easy to do. The one I am using now looks a little crude, but it is a double bed built with 2x6 rails and 4x4 vertical posts. The decking is 3/4" plywood supported by 2x4's underneath. It's main redeeming feature is it has a great bookcase headboard. I am using a 6" slab of upolstry foam as a mattress and it is really comfortable.
Bob
Reply to
BobH
Aluminum would be very costly to make, then costly to fix if it ever cracked or broke. There are a dozen cheaper ways to go, some of them almost free. My MIL wanted her bed higher to make it easier to get in and out of. I took some 2x's nailed two together, routed some depressions for the feet to rest in, and Voila!
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
How about making something out of 80/20? No welding required, easy to use, and looks good. How long it takes to do it and what exact pieces you use depend on your knowledge of the parts and your tooling and skills.
Reply to
Carl McIver
An extruded aluminum structural rail that is functionally like this;
's nice stuff when the company is paying for it but way too expensive for me, and it requires special hardware and fittings You can find similar bolt-together steel strut material in the electrical department of large hardware stores. If you tilt the existing bed frame too far you'll put a bending strain on the joints that they may not take very well.
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
wrote: (clip)Bed lifts are not a workable solution and I have been
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Why are you thinking aluminum? Ordinary mild steel is easier to weld, and a whole lot cheaper. I guarantee you won't know the difference when you are asleep at night.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
Don't know really
I just figured aluminum would be a LOT lighter and make it easer for one person living alone to move it around. No?
Reply to
me
With the proper casters...everything is easy to move.
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it, or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate results." - John Tucci,
Reply to
Gunner Asch
Perhaps blasphemy in a welding group, but i'd be tempted to build a wedge shaped torsion box from 1x12' wp and masonite skins. Slip it between the box spring and mattress. Perhaps a ledge on the pointy end to prevent the mattress from sliding off.
scott
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Site Timeline