Gouging rods...?

Hi,

I've seen listed several places lately an arc gouging rod that doesn't use air--just gravity. One is shown here:

anyone here used these or similar rods and can tell me a little bit about them? I've got about 3' of 1/4" steel to cut (odd shape, limited access), and I'm going through sawzall blades at an alarming rate, and was hoping this would be a better way. Would I be better off just toting the work to someone with a gas wrench and paying for their time?

If they work well, I think it'd be a nice addition to my bag of tricks in general.

Comments?

Thanks, --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

Google search this group for past discussions of cutting with 6010 or

6011 rods dipped in water and used at high amperage. With a bit of practice, the results can be similar to a torch cut. At least give it a try on some scrap...
Reply to
Ecnerwal

What amperage would be high enough to try it?

Ignoramus19127

If you use 3/32" 6010 running DCEN at 120 - 200 amps, and dip the rods in water before arcing, you can cut very quickly through 1/4" steel.

1/8"n 6010 electrodes require a little more power, 175 - 300 amps.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Reply to
Potblak