Harbor Freight Mig 94164

I just bought a 94164 unit and have just starting to use it. I am using the flux wire for now. Any tips on how to best use it. I did make some welds on 0.050 sheet, 1/8" and even tried 1/4". It apears to work fine but I am just starting with it. The ground clamp is too light duty and burn on the first welds. I picked this unit as it is the cheapest unit with the abiltiy to add gas at a later date. $199 on sale plus 20% coupon so it was just $160.

I have a 225 AC stick welder with DC add on. I struggle with anything less than 1/8".

Comments from other users would be appreciated.

Bob

Reply to
rsnyder187

My comment would have been to buy a used Lincoln or Miller, but it's too late now. Those HF machines are hard to get fixed and find consumables for. If you like welding, you'll wear it out quickly.

Just my two cents for free and worth twice that much.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I have had one of these Harbor Freight Mig welders for over a year and have not had any problems at all. for consumables I just go to the local welding store and take whatever I need and they match it up. No Problems! Very Happy with price and performance.

Reply to
Danny

You are lucky. I have heard about, and read about here, many people who have not done so well. If it works for you, and you're happy, that's all that matters. BUT, consumables and service ARE considerations when shopping.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

--There's a thread over at r.c.m. that suggests the H-F mig problems come down to adjusting tension on the feed.

Reply to
steamer

Reply to
rsnyder187

Danny,

Thanks for your reply. Do you know which tips and nozzle can be used i.e. Lincoln and which nozzle? Also, the reply from Steamer on feed tension was good.

I checked back at the HF store and tips and nozzles are currently stocked. My next trip to weld supply store I take a nozzle and tip and see what they come up with.

Bob

Reply to
rsnyder187

freinds hf mig the wire is hot all the time the welder in on . are all the hf migs like that? my lincoln,the wires hot just with the trigger pulled..

ds549

Reply to
RoyJ

Depends on which HF welder you have..but yes..some of them only turn on the feed motor when you squeeze the trigger. So ya have to be careful where you put that torch between welds, and have some extra tips handy cause sure as shit, you are going to touch the stub to something and burn it back into the tip.

Been there, done that, upgraded...several times

Gunner

Airco PhaseArc 350 (350 amp mig) Millermatic 35 mig DanMig 200 mig Lincoln Weldpak 100 Ranger 9 with LN-8 squirt feeder

Airco 250 Squarewave Tig/stick Airco 300 Squarewave Tig/stick Miller Dialarc 250 Miller Dialarc 250 HF Miller 55G 400 amp gasoline multiprocess

"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.

This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

Reply to
Gunner Asch

The model 94164 does turns on both the wire feed and power to the electrod when the trigger is pressed. When the trigger is not pressed no power to the electrod.

The tips are Tweco 11-30 which you can get to any welding shop. They cost from 50 to 90 cents each depending where you buy them and how many.

I was told the nozzle is the same as a Miller 110789. I'll need to stop at the local supply store to compare.

Bob

Reply to
rsnyder187