Hey Iggy !

I never got back to you about those stamps , do you still have any ? Also , I picked up a tombstone welder at a good price , 225 amp Lincoln . I want to build (maybe) a bridge rectifier and make it dc too . You being the master (as far as I've seen) of modifying , I'd like some advice on parts ... like some bigass diodes , and should I build a filter for the output ... might even consider making a tig attachment ...

Reply to
The Hack

Phil

This is just the kind of info I needed . Picked the welder up last night , case is a bit rusted around the bottom , and the stinger and ground clamp are gone . Still not a bad deal for 75 bucks (prolly got that much copper in it and the leads ...) . Especially since the guy will refund my money if it doesn't work .

Ebay here I come !

Reply to
The Hack

Not to rain on your parade, but you shouldn't have paid over $15 for a rusted-out stripped low duty-cycle AC welder. Around here you can get nice AC/DC welders for $100 or so, barely ever used, look like new.

And the transformer isn't wound with copper, it's wound with aluminum.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I also think that $100 is a little too much for one.

Ignoramus1611

That might be , around there . Around here , used welders are scarce and a bit higher . Pawn shop has one 225/125 AC/DC , like new shape , and like new price . I don't feel like I got a bad deal .

Reply to
The Hack

Good for you on the replacement - and you might know - I see your call letters...

Selenium rectifiers is overloaded by voltage or current - tend to out-gas and that gas is very poison type.

Thought I should wake up the group on that issue just in case...

Martin [ still remember the smell and the yell to evacuate! ]

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Phil wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn