Hobby Welder Cutting Rods?

Hello all,

I'm a novice welder for home hobby interest only. Very little experience. Wondering about best / mos cost effective cutting techniques/rods for a stick welder (AC/DC 220V). Having trouble locating carbon cutting rods and wondering if another rod might be a more cost effective solution for the occasional cutting needs.

Thanx,

Dale

Reply to
Dale Reinecke

Dale,

Just get some 6010 or 6011 electrodes in 3/32" or even 1/16" although the latter may be hard to find.

Run 'em at about twice their rated polarity. They will give you a crude cut. But it works. If all you're trying to do is pierce or sever metal they'll do the trick.

VT

Reply to
Vernon

Reply to
Some1

Dale, If there is a Home Depot or Menards near you and not a welding shop, there is a rod they carry and I used them with good luck just the other day in a pinch. The rod is marketed by U.S. Forge (Pn# 09921) They don't list what it is and there was no MSDS data, just a telephone number. Anyway, I wanted to join a funky 8x24 beam running the span of my basement to the Lally column with ATSM325 bolts as it was a real thing the building inspector overlooked. Anyway, I just stuffed the rod straight through the flange of the beam

3/8" tail going to about 1/2" at the web. I only needed two rods and made four holes like butter. Ran a die grinder to clean out the holes and they worked just fine. Maybe this will help you out. I have the rest of them handy. 120 amps did it with room to spare. I just ground down a good ground point and nicked each center point for a solid clean circuit. You will use more current and not lose it just like a giant resistor- something I even often forget. Better the contact (any type of process) This is especially helpful in the home garage when you are sort of cheating a circuit breaker for your 220 feed. It's not like you have a 20KVA service attached to the side of the house. I see it a lot and just see results when guys try it. Makes the welder work a whole lot less.

Have a good weekend,

Rob Fraser

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

"Vernon" wrote in news:1131756608.271056.227650 @g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Dale,

I know how to get half the rated polarity...you don't hook up the ground clamp. But how do you get twice the rated polarity? ;)

Reply to
Ken Moffett

Sorry. I meant to say "amperage".

VT

Reply to
Vernon

"Vernon" wrote in news:1131793745.235619.97540 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

All in fun. It's too early in the morning and I couldn't pass it up.

Reply to
Ken Moffett