Need Help Choosing 1st Welder

I'm planning to buy my first welder in the very near future. As for brand, I've decided to buy a Miller but I can't decide whether to get the 135 or the 175. The difference between the two in money isn't all that much, about $150.00 appx. So it isn't a question of money that is giving me the problem in deciding which one to get.

Maybe someone can help me make the decision. I like the 135 because it runs on regular 120V current. So I can take it anywhere and use it anyplace there is regular house current, and it is cheaper. But it is the minimum MIG welder that Miller makes. The 175 needs a 220V outlet so I'll only be able to use it in one spot. The bigger unit can weld thicker metal, but not very much thicker. I'm also told that the bigger machine is what I'll want later on, it has a longer duty cycle, and it doesn't have to work as hard as the smaller unit. So which one should I go with for my first one; the less powerful, more portable one or the more expensive, more powerful and less portable one? First I think the small unit is just what I'll need at first and then I start thinking I'd be better off with the 175. What do I do, flip a coin?

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

I prefer having the 220V machine myself but I don't need the portability. At any rate, I have another idea for you to consider. If you want the portability of the 135 but don't want to limit your capabilities considering buying the 135 and a cheap stick welder like the Lincoln AC 225 or Miller or Hobart equivalent. The AC/DC version would be even better but it's quite a bit more pricey whereas a used AC 225 can often be found for less than $100 and it'll handle about anything you're likely to run into, assuming of course this is more for hobby use.

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers (1879-1935).

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Hawke, I just came from visiting my wife's country cousins. These guys could build a space shuttle with what is in my trash can. They weld everything and anything on the farm. Heavy equipment, fabricate truck bed bodies, make bbq pits, fix snow plows, etc. I asked to see their shop and was expecting to see some primo equipment. I was more in awe than ever when they showed me their arc welders was a 50-60 yr old Sears, with two taps and you judge the taps by holding the rod end in grooves in the welder sheet metal, if it is a fat rod use the hi tap and vis a versa. The wire welder and MIG were both the cheapest banged up auction remainders I every saw. Both names I didn't know (not one of the big 3 or century or chicago electric or anything normally seen). The o/a was the bottom of the harbor freight line. The wiring to the shop probably wasn't giving them anywhere near 50amps in 230v. They had been doing it this way for decades, their welds hold, they just 'do it'. Made me a lot less obsessive about what brand, model, etc to buy next as a hobbyist.

Reply to
John