I got a welder now what do I do with it?

well, I finally got myself a mig welder. Its a Dual Mig 131/2 Chicago Electric. Just going to use it to de chrome my 74 Super beetle and fix the floor pan. All I want to know is what Ga wire is best? Also is gas needed if I'm just going to grind the welds down, the wire that came with the welder is flex core.

Thanks

Andrew

Reply to
Totallto

Recommend that you go to a commercial welding supply, bring the welder along, tell them what you intend to do. Some wire grinds down easier than others. Flux-core .030 may be what you have on the starter spool. Remember that flux-core is hotter than gas-shielded since the gas tends to cool the arc a bit, all other things being equal. Might burn through the floor pan, so check it out on a scrap first.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick