I welded aluminum today

Cats? You evidently dont have cats...
Yep, got cats... 4 of 'em.
For some reason though, Monty Python's Confuse-A-Cat skit came to mind when I read your post..LOL.
And reminds me of the time a co-worker was TIGging a part, went to reposition the part, and sat the torch in his lap, accidentally hit the pedal...YEP, zapped him right on the 'lil fireman! Youch! Funny thing to have to explain/show the company nurse.
Ron
Reply to
doo
For me it's my new pet project. I'm building a tank for use in paintball games. I'm not near good enough with a tig to tackle aluminum, but I still get into some interesting predicaments trying to weld at different angles and still reach the pedal.
Reply to
Dave Lyon
Are you talking about an armored tank that moves on tracks, or a tank for air?
If it is the former, I can sell you some 3/16" tungsten electrodes to make paintballs that would penetrate aluminum tanks. :)
Ignoramus20878
I'm talking about an armored tank that moves on tracks . Except it's really more of an armored security vehicle modeled after the m1117 guardian. This is the 2nd one I've built. The first one looks a bit like a box on wheels although it does have twin axles with duel tires in the back. :) It sports a 3" main gun operating from CO2. It shoots 90 paintballs per shot.
My new one is going to be more realistic looking if I ever get the time to finish it. It will have a semi auto main gun shooting foam "darts" of my own design. It will also have a 2400 round per minute chain gun shooting standard paintballs.
As for your Armour piercing tungsten, I think I better pass. I've made a number of paintball "weapons" the most challenging part by far is making something that won't actually hurt somebody. :)
Reply to
Dave Lyon
Sounds great!
You could buy a Davey diesel compressor, add an air motor powered drive, and shoot paintballs continuously like a machinegun.
Very nice. I hope that you will post some pictures.
I was just kidding...
Ignoramus20878
LOL...blush. After rebuilding the new spare tire carrier..and properly welding it using something other than a HF Mig..so far its held up nicely for about 80,000 miles.
Gunner
Gunner Asch
Congrats on the welding and a funny story! I had to clean a fair amount of my morning Pepsi off my shirt and monitor/keyboard from laughing at the wrong time.
I have seen Nomex lined caps and Nomex lined gloves, I have not seen a Nomex lined codpiece. It might be marketable!
I have had similar experiences with very "out of position" tig welding myself, including setting my jeans on fire.
Keep laughing, Bob
Reply to
MetalHead
Terrific story. Yes, for an old dog burnt up chest hairs are acceptable damage. But them jewels? Nope. Otherwise, a person would never try something dumb. ciao, David Todtman
Reply to
David Todtman

Site Timeline