Innershield Wire Question

If I use self sheilded cored wire with my MIG & 75/25 gas will it produce alot of spatter? I have alot of it at hand.

Reply to
WolfGang

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote: (clip) Outershield is the Lincoln Flux-core wire than is run with gas. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Ernie, I'd like to know more. What would be the reasons for running fluxcore with gas?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

We used dual-sheild to weld up rock hoppers for crushers. All made of AR400 plate. The foreman didn't want to accept the fact that we couldn't use the same flowmeters as with 75/25 (dual-sheild uses co2). Every time after welding for a while the flowmeter turned to ice & (duh) no more gas for twenty minutes. A lot of those flowmeters had to have the top seals replaced because of the ice. What a dumbass.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

"Management is unskilled labor without the labor."

-Dilbert-

Reply to
Desert Traveler

At school we have moved over to C25 for all of our dual-shield welding. Which leaves us with a pile of CO2 tanks we have no use for anymore.

Being state property they just went to a big storage manifold back of campus, where they will sit until the end of time.

Because they are low pressure cylinders we can't convert them to anything else.

We still have some of the electrically heated CO2 regulators.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Why no more 100% CO2 is to simplify gas inventory? Seems CO2 is used to save money.

Here is Esab pages showing how different shielding gases affect the welds of some dual shield wires.

?&DID=8&User_ID=230782&st=2211&st2=61718646&st3=-37212591&CATID=26&ObjectGroup_ID=110&OBS=3&Move=Next&count=4&Pcount=12
?&DID=8&User_ID=230782&st=2211&st2=61718646&st3=-37212591&CATID=26&ObjectGroup_ID=110&OBS=5&Move=Next&count=6&Pcount=12
I didn't show links to their wires that only have one recommended shielding gas.

Reply to
R. Duncan

Over all the gas savings isn't that great, and the regulators are a pain to keep happy.

C25 gives smoother welds and most of industry has switched to it. We have to mimic industry since we are training guys for jobs.

We used to train guys on 0.052" dual shield because the biggest shipyards in town were using it. Now since they have all switched to 1/16" dual shield, we have too.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Yeah, this guy is a real piece of.....work. I mentioned something about heating the existing meters, and he just looked at me like I was crazy.

I was recently in the local bolt & screw parts house picking up some hardware, and I heard the guy beside me say "put it on "Company X's" account". I looked over at him & asked if good old Clifford was still there. He replied " Yeah, he's still there. Still being a d*****ad!" This was particularly funny to me because the fella didn't even work in the shop; he was only the parts runner.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly