Just gotta tell somebody!

I spent last weekend wiring a new main breaker (upgraded from 60amp service to 200) and yesterday I added a plug for my arc welder. (my grandfather bought me a Lincoln AC225 about a decade ago and I've never even plugged it in because I've been living in apartments and crap until now)

Taught my girlfriend how to strike an arc and the two of us took turns playing with it. ;) Sure makes the power meter spin fast but it's nice to be able to weld something when I need too now without going to my buddies house to use his 110 mig.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Martin

RoyJ

You got that right. Fix stuff that you would normally toss. Save money on repairs. Build useful things.

Just watch out and don't get too good. Or don't let on that you are. Your missy will have you making lawn sculptures and stuff before long.

Does she watch HGTV? Yes? Ooooooooooooo. Too late for you.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Mike Martin wrote: (clip) Taught my girlfriend how to strike an arc and the two of us took turns playing with it. (clip) Steve B wrote: (clip) Your missy will have you making lawn sculptures and stuff before long. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Sounds to me like "Missy" may want to make her own lawn sculptures.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Well, then, make sure she does it like the women welders in the commercials on tv. A bulky knit fuzzy sweater, big hair, and no gloves or cap.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Hah, that's why I'm teaching her to weld. ;)

We're both addicted to DIY network and HGTV... me more than her.

In a semi-related brag, I have the best GF in the world. Instead of watching me change the brakes on my truck, she insisted on changing them with me talking her through the process. Now she knows how to change brake pads, oil, a water pump... also check the radiator and tranny fluids and of course, change a tire. Now if only I could teach her to use a clutch but my transmission isn't up to it. ;)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Martin

Well, you have a keeper no doubt, but my wife crewed my race car for years, bought me stuff like an air compressor and a driver's suit for X-mas, and then went through driver's school and won her school race... in the rain. If your GF wants to participate in the things you're passionate about, or at least doesn't get jealous of the time you spend doing them, you've got a good one. But "the best"? Maybe a tie with my spouse. ;)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey

*GRIN* A tie it is then.

Mike (She bought me a recip. saw for my birthday last year)

Reply to
Mike Martin

Just be sure you still remember she's the best if/when she beats YOU in a race! :-)

Reply to
lens

She's come close to doing that in karts. To her credit, she was the one that pointed out that I outweighed her by 40 pounds. She was within a tenth on lap times, and I don't know if I would have been able to restrain myself from mentioning the weight difference if she hadn't...

Peter

Reply to
Peter Grey