F/S- F/T Airco Pulse Arc 350

Located in So. California. (Santa Ana)

With new Tweco gun, matching wirefeeder and some consumables. The machine is in EXCELLENT condition and looks like it came right out of the box. It was purchased by a prototype shop and likely has less than

10 hours total on it.

220/460 3Phase (which is why I cant use it..sigh)

Best offer cash or trade for?

Pictures will be available in a few days.

A welding shop that sells new and used machines (that I trust), told me it is worth between $850-1200 to a commercial shop. depending on location. He has seen the machine so knows the condition.

Im needing another Mig that will run on single phase and run .45 wire well, as well as being able to run alum.

Gunner

Gunner

Martin H. Eastburn

Chuckle...that would indeed be a wonderful thing. I have a rotary converter..but best as I can figure...a machine this size is going to take about a 20 hp rotary phase converter...and I dont have the electrical service to run it..let alone the motor to make one.

Gunner

Gunner

Reply to
Glenn

oooooo!!!

Post it on misc.survivalism or alt.rural and someone will be sure to snag it pretty quickly

Gunner

Gunner

Reply to
Glenn

Glenn I think there is a group called alt.rural.power or some such as well. It would be damded well received.

Id love to have it..but the only running water close by is the California Aquaduct...and somehow I suspect they wouldnt be amused...and its 14 miles away...

Gunner

Gunner

Gunner, You are missing an important point. Welders only draw the amount of power needed to make the weld. So let's say you are welding with an 0.045" wire at a weld current of 150 amps and an arc voltage of around 18 volts (that is about what I recall). The actual power draw is 150 x 18 = 2700 watts! So your 350 amp welder may be able to draw say 6 KW or so, but it won't unless you try making huge welds in one pass. I had a 3 phase 400 amp Tig welder that I ran on a 20 amp 220 volt circuit breaker with no problem, except when I needed the 400 amps.

Another important point. Welders have duty cycles. The Lincoln AC 225 amp AC buzz boxes had a 20% duty cycle. You could weld all day at 225 amps, as long as the welding time of each weld was 2 minutes or less, and you waited

8 minutes until the next weld. At lower currents the duty cycle increases proportionately.

Final point. Circuit breakers have duty cycles. A 20 amp breaker should never trip at 20 amps. At 25 amps it will typically take 1/2 hour or more to trip. At 30 amps it will take almost 5 minutes to trip. At 40 amps it will take maybe a minute to trip. At 60 amps it will take maybe 20 seconds to trip. So welders can often be perfectly usable when connected to circuits that would appear to unable to handle them.

I've never tried running a welder on a rotary converter. My suspicion is that it would work just fine. The first step in a mig welder is stepping the voltage down and the current up through a transformer. The second step is converting it all to DC through a diode bridge. I seriously doubt it cares much about phase relationships. I used to do welder repairs. I've never seen a three phase welder with a 3 phase cooling fan, they are always single phase anyway, and taken off of a control circuit. So it would be well worth a try.

Gary H. Lucas

Reply to
Gary H. Lucas

I asked my welding machine guy about dropping a leg and seeing if it would run on single phase. He said it would not work, to not even bother to try it. I claims it will work sometimes with inverter machines but not with transformer based ones, or at least it was implied.

Ill have to try it I guess. Its one hell of a machine and its head and hands better than my old Dan-Mig 140/200 which only has 6 positions for welding power. Ive already run into situations where I need something in between.

I rather suspect that my 5hp rotary converter may not handle very much power, nor do I know how to calculate exactly how many amps it will supply properly. Got any idea of the proper formula? Or the solution?

Ive popped the 50 amp single phase 220 breaker a couple times with my Lincoln tig 250/250 that I recently rebuilt while running stick,

but I suspect my breaker is getting tired. Its about 20 yrs old now.... It handles the Dialarc 250 pretty well up to about 150 amps for fair amounts of time...several sticks worth but its starting to kick out sooner and sooner.

I really need to get out the amp meter and start checking idle current and whatnot. The meter does spin noticably faster when I simply turn on the Lincoln or the Miller dialarc..and really fast when I strike an arc......sigh

Many thanks Gary.

Gunner

Gunner

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 08:59:08 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner spake:

It has QUITE a head coming down those mountains.

I swung by the HF in Medford today and picked up a 44568, their AC/DC arc welder. Specs: input 220v, 132AC/200DC amps. It was on sale for $119.99 and their 1-year any store/ lifetime warranty at this store was only $11.99, so for $138 and change, I picked up a welder, a 2 lb. pack of 6011 rod, and a 10-pack of 3" cutoff wheels. After forgetting to pick up another 220v connector, I scrounged one off my dust collector and fired it up. Hoboy, I'd forgotten how much smoke and spatter come off these things. Since I have another 220v outlet at the door, I can plug it in there and take the machine outside to practice welding from now on. Anyway, it's a start. I haven't welded much since metalshop class in '69, though I had a nice Miller MIG to play with at work in the body shop in the late 80s.

The HF handheld mask which came with this welder is a real joke, so I'll have to fabricate a usable tilting holder for it until I get a real mask. And you ought to see the chip hammer/brush. It's a little plastic thing with 2 sparse rows of very bendable wire and a tenth of an ounce of steel on the other side they call a "hammer". It will, however, probably chip hardened flux off the completed welds.

Have you seen the sidewalk sale they're having next weekend?

4-1/2" angle grinders for $8.99 2 Ton folding shop cranes for $129 deluxe trailer light kit for $11.99 headlamp flashlights for $0.99 (cheap, but work really well) hard cap knee pads for $1.99 24 oz. framing hammers 2 for $5 (my favorite hammer of all time) 36 acid brushes for $1.99 electronic fly swatters for $2.50 (ZAP dem puppies) 20 lb. pressure blaster for $44.99

I'll have to pick up more of this junque then.

LJ--Tool Collector Extraordinaire.

---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary

Dynamic Website Applications ====================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"They" wouldn't be amused...but the rest of the country would be laughing all over the place when you made the national newswires!

bill

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Bill Martin

But think of all the free power a person could get before they caught up with em.

Gunner

Gunner

Planning on trying this dropping one leg thing on one of those ESAB 400A inverter machines that I had picked up at auction a couple years back..

Someday....when I find time.....

If / when it actually happens, I promise I'll get back to you and let you know whether it works out.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 03:27:18 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner spake:

Governor Gray "Brownout" Davis saw to it that many power plants were built, fueled with yet another fossil fuel (nat gas). That's also delivered to CA from TX in limited quantity, raising prices as they choose. This after running up the state's debt so bad it was recategorized and signing contracts to perpetually overpay for the state's imported power. UFR! That man could screw up a wet dream, I swear. I'm glad I bailed when I did (if not 3 years before.)

Please let me know if CA ever rebates some of that money. I want my share BACK! (To buy some of Gunner's tools + gas to get there and back, of course.)

--------------------------------------------------------------- Never put off 'til tomorrow |

what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications

Larry Jaques

I really hate to respond to this.

The Airco Pulse Arc was really a bad machine.

Don't get me wrong. The thought and engineering was of the latest at that time, but something got lost in the manufacturing.

Parts are not easily available. And it needs three phase power.

Good Luck

Reply to
brad

Thanks for the heads up Brad. Much obliged

Gunner

Lathe Dementia. Recognized as one of the major sub-strains of the all-consuming virus, Packratitis. Usual symptoms easily recognized and normally is contracted for life. Can be very contagious. michael

Reply to
Gunner

Oh..I should mention that Ive run at least 2lbs of wire (.035) through this machine off a 5hp rotary converter. Works fine.

Shrug

Gunner

It's better to be a red person in a blue state than a blue person in a red state. As a red person, if your blue neighbors turn into a mob at least you have a gun to protect yourself. As a blue person, your only hope is to appease the red mob with herbal tea and marinated tofu.

(Phil Garding)

Reply to
Gunner