just wired a receptacle for mig welder, double checking

Hey everybody, I had a dryer outlet that was not being used (we have a gas dryer now) and I needed a power outlet for my new millermatic 175. I tested the line with my multimeter and found it was putting out 236 volts. I replaced the dryer receptacle with a 6-50R and buttoned everything up (the breaker is actually a 30a in the box). The welder calls for 230v 19.5a, 60 hz so I'm thinking I'm good to go. The dryer line is a 1 phase so the bare wire (ground) is in the correct spot, but does it matter which post I attach the black or red wires (reverse polarity? i'm pretty sure there's no such thing in this case). I checked the voltage after I installed it and I still came up with 236v (even when i switch my tester leads to either side)so I'm assuming evrything is okay. Can someone verify this, I dont want to screw up a new mig welder or burn the joint down. thanks in advance. walt

Reply to
wallster
[posted and mailed]

snipped-for-privacy@buffnet.net (wallster) wrote in news:567685c7.0402030711.3db71552 @posting.google.com:

You are fine...have fun with the new toy.....

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

it doesnt matter so long as you dont connect one to the center pole. :-)

see

which is basically what you have done.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Good to Go !! Pretty much the same hookup as my Lincoln 175....

Enjoy

Reply to
Jeff Sellers

I actually referred to your weldingcord page last night before I changed the receptacle, that's great info! I especially enjoyed the line "(the results will be tragic if you f#ck that one up!) and that "you were not responsible if I burn down my house and kill my entire family". Very nicely put. (lol) thanks again,

walt

Reply to
wallster

im glad you found it beneficial.

responsible

heh.....in todays litiguous society you gotta cover your ass. i put it in real world terms that cannot possibly be interpreted wrong. :-)

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

I think you sent me a picture of a giant black YJ and a Harley??? was that you? (about 2 years ago) for some reason i remember seeing your "7slottegrill" site when i had my YJ (had to sell her, bought a cushy pickup, i'm a wuss) still got the HD though.

walt

Reply to
wallster

thats highly possible. between my jeep site, ruv site, and welding site i get about 3-4 dozen emails per day and i try to respond to each of them. its a good thing i dont sleep or i wouldnt have time for this internet thingy. :-)

awesome. im currently trying to sell my rubicon

to get an '04 cummins

4x4 dodge which would be better for working out of than my jeep is, so i can relate to your decision to sell your jeep. i have an m880 with 1 1/4 ton drivetrain
that ill disassemble and use the running gear under a cj8 scrambler to feed my jeepin' need after i sell the rubicon.
Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Very nice instructions. My only concern is that when using a white as a safety ground instead of a neutral it should be marked green at each end with either green tape or a green marking pen so it is obvious it is being used as a ground. This is probably less of an issue when used as an extension cord but if the wires were running into boxes using the white without marking would be a no-no. Billh

Reply to
billh

thank you!

Reply to