Kicking Myself!

Well, I did a good one today. When moving the argon bottle for my TIG welder I knocked it over and, of course, broke the regulator. So now I have to get a new one. The question now is how much is that going to cost me; what's a fair price for a new regulator for an argon bottle? Where is the best place to get a new one? Ebay, an online source like Indiana Oxygen or the like, or buy it locally in my hick town? So what's my best bet to find a good regulator at a good price? Oh, and are they all about the same in quality or are there good ones and crappy ones that I should avoid buying? Opinions, ideas, brands, suggestions appreciated.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Don't know about good sources for a new regulator, but if you're moving the cylinder it should have the regulator disconnected and the protective cap on. Put the new cylinder in the rack and secure it before removing the cap and attaching the regulator. It sounds like you got off easy with just a broken regulator, had the valve been open when it fell and presumably sheared the regulator from the tank, you would have had a high speed pinwheel going which would do a lot more damage than just the broken regulator - like a broken ankle.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Depending on how badly it is broken, you may be able to get it repaired/rebuilt for a lot less than a new unit. Guages are pretty cheap, flowmeters are not too bad and the fitting that goes from the cylinder valve to the regulator body is also replaceable and pretty reasonable. Unless you broke the casting of the regulator body, I would see about getting it repaired.

Good Luck, Bob

Reply to
MetalHead

A broken ankle?? As I understand physics the effects of argon escaping a 3/8" diameter hole at 2000 psi are a lot more ..er... exhilarating than "a pinwheel going". On the other hand, I doubt it would have gone into low earth orbit.

But the effects would have been closer to the latter than to the former... as I understand it... blessedly, never having "been there and done that".

VT

Reply to
Vernon

That would be a force of about 281 lbs.

Depending on the size of the cylinder, the effects could be different.

Ignoramus12834

In the Seattle area I buy most of my equipment locally from Praxair, AirGas (

), and

Central Welding Supply

Flow guages are in the $75 range and flow meters are in the $90-110 range.

Tig Depot has a dual flow meter at about $165 if you need something for backgassing.

People have said good things about Indiana Oxy so I would guess it would depend on proximity and service. If you have someone locally it's nice to be able to pick a brain once in awhile or in my case occasionally ad nauseum.

Mike H. "It's not what folks don't know that gets 'em in the most trouble, it's the things they do know that ain't so" -- Will Rodgers

Reply to
Mike H.

"Vernon" wrote

I once saw an oxygen bottle fall out of a basket being lifted by a crane onto an offshore platform. It hit the thick oak boat deck, you guessed it, valve first. We were diving for cover, but from what we did see, it made a nice arc right over the gunnel and into the sea.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB