Large (20" to 26") metal pipe supply? North Texas.

Hello, I'm in North Texas (about an hour and fifteen minutes northwest of Dallas) and I'm having problems sourcing some metal pipe. A friend
of mine and I are looking to for some pipe to build a barbeque smoker from and the closest place to us, in Gainesville, TX, only has 24" x 3/8" and it's brand new...$52.00 a foot PLUS torch time. I need a place that I can buy pipe in sizes 20" to 26" by 1/4" somewhere nearby, and I would like it to be used (I don't want to pay a premium for brand new pipe, nor do I need the pipe to be certified or pass any particular pressure test). I wouldn't mind buying used or inspection-failed propane tanks if they had the proper wall-thickness.
Can anyone make some suggestions of where I might be able to buy this stuff?
I wasn't sure where else to post this..there doesn't appear to be a newsgroup for BBQ smokers..but if there was a better place for me to have posted this please tell me.
Thank you for your help.
--HC
I think you've discovered why most guys use 55 gallon drums .. - GWE
HC wrote:

Quite possibly, but I'm not going to do that...55 gallon drums rust out with a harsh look...let alone a good wood fire. I've used 55 gallon drums for burning wood (disposing of waste wood from remodeling my home) and they didn't hold up for beans.
:(
--HC
I was reading some other posts and I found there's a rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup, I'm going to post this question, there, too, but I'll be watching both threads so if you have an answer or suggestion for me please feel free to post it here.
Thank you.
--HC
Best approach is to have someone roll 1/4" (or whatever) plate into a cylinder. You would need to weld the seam but you can order out any diameter, length, or wall thickness.
HC wrote:

Any suggestions for businesses that do that here in North Texas? (Denton, Wichita Falls, DFW) If not a suggestion for a particular business, what kind of business would do that (what would I look in the yellow pages under; what category of business would it be)?
Thanks for your help.
--HC

A lot of welding shops will be able to roll plate in the sizes you want. Call around.
JTMcC.

I'm not familiar with the companies down that far south. However I do know that there's a place in Borger that can do it. They rolled 1" SS plate into a 20" tube for my former employer when we made rotary airlocks.
Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Thats where I am located. Just for grins, what company did that?

I'm trying to remember. It's been about 5 years since I last built a rotary airlock. If somebody said the name I'd know it right off but I can't seem to jog it out my head at the moment. I know they did a lot of fab work for Huber and the other carbon black plants. They also had some machining capabilities as well.
Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
I'm a LOOOOOOOOOONG way from Texas, no idea on local suppliers. I'd start in the local yellow pages under "steel Fabricators". A quick call to a few steel suppliers might also be profitable. A lot of the suppliers will do simple cut and form operations. If not, they can tell you who buys a lot of 1/4" plate.
HC wrote:

Well, I found a place that'll roll the stuff up for me...to get the material from them and the labor to bend it it'll cost me $395 (presumably plus tax) to get a 1/4" piece, 24" diameter, 8 feet long. :( That's $49.38 a foot. I can get 3/8" wall 24" for $52 a foot from Gainesville, closer than the place in Ft. Worth and without their 7-10 day lead time. I'm going to have to find more scrap-type stuff...this stuff isn't worth spending 400.00 to have an 8 foot piece with no end caps, etc. It's cost prohibitive for the hobby purpose I have for it. :( I'm see someone's mentioned propane tanks and I'd be interested in doing that..just need a source...going to reply to that post.
Thank you all.
--HC

Concur. My Old Tyme barbeque is still going strong nearly 20 years later, and it was rolled. You don't need pipe, especially seamless. I'm in Michigan, now. They think a barbeque is wieners and pre-made hamburger patties on a grill. Some around me are learning differently. I barbeque about twice a year. The only thing is you can't get pecan wood.
Pete Keillor

Two places I've found large pipe - at an outfit that makes huge nets for golf courses and such (18"X10'X1/4, $200 new), and at the scrap yard (18"X8'X1/2", $130 used). If you can live with thicker wall, you also might try any place that lays gas pipe, they might have a suitable cutoff.
Wayne

Why not check out oilfield suppliers for short pieces.
If all you're intending to build is a BBQ pit, why not simply start with a 100 - 500 gallon propane tank? That'd give a nice diameter, fair length, and minimal effort: cut the hatchways and smokestack holes, place angle-iron shelf supports, and tack on a firebox and smokestack.
For a trailer-mounted pit find a 1,000 gallon tank.
Hey, Ram, I'd certainly be interested in using a propane tank, new that's failed for some reason or a used one (I've built a charcoal cooker out of a small (26 gallon) propane tank), but I did a search in the Fort Worth Star Telegram, Thrify Nickel, and Greensheets classifeds and didn't find any. Is there a better place I should be looking for these things? Contact a propane seller? I'd love to buy reject new tanks if they're priced right, but the problem, as with all this stuff, is finding a source. Any suggestions on sourcing any of this?
Thank you for your reply and help.
--HC

Check with your freindly propane dealer.
You don't need a new one - just do a CO2 purge/fill before cutting into it.
One advantage to the older tanks is that they're often made of thicker metal than the newer ones.
HC wrote:

100 gal. water capacity LP tanks are 24" diameter with a wall thickness of about 3/16", 125 gal. WC tanks are 30" diameter with the same wall or sometimes a 1/4" wall. It'll take a couple of burns to get the stink out but they'll work well.
John
| Hello, I'm in North Texas (about an hour and fifteen minutes northwest | of Dallas) and I'm having problems sourcing some metal pipe. A friend | of mine and I are looking to for some pipe to build a barbeque smoker | from and the closest place to us, in Gainesville, TX, only has 24" x | 3/8" and it's brand new...$52.00 a foot PLUS torch time. I need a | place that I can buy pipe in sizes 20" to 26" by 1/4" somewhere nearby, | and I would like it to be used (I don't want to pay a premium for brand | new pipe, nor do I need the pipe to be certified or pass any particular | pressure test). I wouldn't mind buying used or inspection-failed | propane tanks if they had the proper wall-thickness. | | Can anyone make some suggestions of where I might be able to buy this | stuff?
I had a neighbor growing up in Longview who used to go by this bathtub and toilet factory not too far away and get rejected bathtubs. Take two, cut the face off of one and use it for the work surface. The ceramic coating was durable as hell. They'd be mounted on huge hinges so that the drain holes were opposite each other and he'd add huge grates inside. He was also really fond of using surplus temperature gauges from his employer (Eastman) to keep track of how hot it was. I think that place has upped their quality standards and no longer offers them for free to the public, but used tubs would also work fine. I had a vision of a claw footed tub being used... That would create a few double takes!
Hmm, yeah, that'd certainly get some attention. :)
--HC