Mig Pak 10 used

I just arranged to see and hopefully buy a "Mig Pak 10" welder for cheap tomorrow afternoon. Is there anything I should be looking for when deciding whether it is worth the $25? Mig is new to me - so far I just have a 150 amp AC buzz box.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

I'd pay $25 if it works

Reply to
Brent

MIG welders need parts. The gun will need nozzles, contact tips and liners to say the very least, and the welder may need new drive rolls. For $25 you can't go wrong, but it would be good if there were some kind of parts source.

I would pass at $25 if you can't see it weld first.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I would buy it unless there is something major wrong with it and I might even buy it then. Parts should not be a problem. Sounds as if someone bought it and found they did not use it.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

its still available retail and although ive hear lincoln arent the best for parts availability they are NOT as bad as a random import

Reply to
Brent

It worked fine. I have a new toy.

It doesn't have a gas tank or regulator, but does have a gas fitting on the back. I need to research possible needs for gas, and what regulator is needed for it. I am guessing that the regulator is not just pressure regulation like the CO2 I use for homebrewing.

Can anyone point me to a good reference to teach me mig welding.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Maybe that's why he sold and why so cheap: he was using it with plain wire and no gas, which gives high-shit welds, if you can even call them "welds".

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Are you talking about flux core wire welding?

Is this true - flux core welding is no good?

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

He is not talking about fluxcore welding, he's talking about welding with solid wire and no shielding gas, a recipe for disaster.

It's discouraging how many homeowners buy small MIG machines which come set up for solid wire, try fluxcore without setting the polarity right, and abandon welding, thinking it's impossible when it's just that their machine is set up wrong.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

No,no,no. Flux core is fine welding, better than gas sometimes. There is a different wire, though - it has a flux core (duh). Welding with gas generally uses plain wire (copper coated, but no core). If one used plain wire in a machine set up for flux core (i.e., a machine without gas), he would get crappy welds. You have to have gas to MIG with plain wire.

So, if there is flux core wire already in your machine, or if you'd rather use flux core, you should be fine. But to use plain wire, you'll need gas.

Flux core also uses reverse polarity from plain wire. I only use plain wire, so I forget which is which.

Hope I was clearer this time, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt