MIG welding inside? fume extractor?

Do those of you who routinely do solid-wire MIG welding of steel, actually do it indoors? If so, how do you deal with the fumes? Or do you just wait for a calm day and do it outdoors?

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

i do, but not production level work. i hobby weld in my basement and i have a exhaust fan i built into one of the small basement windows. crank the fan on and crack the other window and i get a nice cross-flow of air. probably not the healthiest way to work, but i do it anyways....

Reply to
Kryptoknight

When I purchased my Lincoln MIG it came with a demo tape and the guy on the demo just weld indoors without special provisions. This seems to the case too with other welders on the how to shows. All the welding I've seen indoors are in large open spaces and not in confined rooms. You suppose to keep a distance from the puddle so you don't take in all the fumes. I have doors open in the garage for cross ventilation and a fan blowing at the same time. I'm a homeowner type doing repairs or small projects so it has not been a issue.

Reply to
Fred

Fumes? What fumes? I was MIG'ing some vinyl coated wire shelving yesterday and I got some smoke when the vinyl caught on fire. When I weld galvanized and haven't ground back/dissolved the galvanizing enough, I get some of it boiled off. Otherwise the fumes are negligible. Not at all like stick, for instance.

YMMV, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

No problem in the kitchen with the range vent on. Works just fine. No kidding.

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL. Long Beach, CA.

Reply to
RDF