Millermatic 210 field power supply

Has anyone had success with a portable gererater to power a millermatic 210 for work away from the shop.

Miller states that this is ok with a 8000/10000 watt generator but I would like to hear from someone that has done this successfuly. I tried it with an 8000 watt genset and cooked the wirefeed control. It was not that expensive to fix but the machine was out of commision for a week waiting for parts. Not good.

I am sure that there are some success stories out there so any advise would be very welcome.

Dave C

Reply to
Dave Cormie

I know you don't want to hear this, but that's what gas-powered welders are for!

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I ran mine with both the spoolgun and the gun on 3/8" plate on a Dewalt contractor grade generator while my Legend was on "loan" Never had a burp. Ran like a charm for three days.

Respects,

Rob Fraser

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

I have a 300 amp stick welder that is self contained but that is not what I wanted to know.

I also have the Miller and prefer it for cosmetic work and just wanted to know if anybody has been successfull with a genset.

Dave C

Reply to
Dave Cormie

Do you remember the KV on the Genset ??

BTW thanks for the reply to the question I asked.

Dave C

Reply to
Dave Cormie

Dave,

Not really sure at all about the model or Kv rating but it was an 8hp unit if I recall correctly. It was not some giant behemoth generator. It looks like the same one at Home Depot, over the counter consumer model- but again, not sure but it ran fine and never did anything but surge the engine a little under welding load and it was pretty much being run full-tilt on some long beads.

Rob

Reply to
RDF

Thanks Rob for the straight answer. Much appreciated.

Dave C.

Reply to
Dave Cormie