New to welding ???

I have a old forney welder and I am trying to learn how to weld. My company set me up with about

100 pieces of sheet metal in different thicknesses. I was given a ton of E7018 W4R sticks and learned quickly that maybe this is not a good size for sheet metal. A lot of burn through. So I went and bought some 6013 3/32" sticks. The problem now is that the metal gets extremely hot and warps. I am running at about 45 amps. It is an AC welder. What do I need to do in order to stop the warping of the metal?

TIA

Reply to
Frankie

If you run a continuous weld you will get more distortion . 6013 is a fast follow rod and you can move along a a considerable pace dragging the tip about 30 degrees off the perpendicular. tack weld you pieces together with small acks every three or four inches. You can weld using several tactics. Back steeping is one where you move ahead on the joint say two inches and weld back to the beginning then for your next weld bead jump ahead two inches and weld back into the first bead. The smaller your weld the less distortion. You are welding thin material so you don't need massive welds. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman