Newbie question regarding steel thickness for Wood Rack

Hiya Folks, Well I've been slowly tinkering with my Millermatic 175 and am finally getting what I think are decent welds (I'm trying to teach myself :) ). Anyway, I thought I'd move on to actually making something and figured a log rack would probably be a good start. If it breaks, no one dies...haha. I was thinking of using 1"x2" rect. tube for the legs and cross supports and was considering going with something along the lines of 10 ga. The longest span would be 4 ft. and the logs will only stack up to about 4 ft. So before I run out and buy something that's either not beefy enough or way too thick, I'd like to see if someone has any thoughts on the thickness of the steel I should use. Thanks much for any advice. Cheers, jlc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

I think 10 gauge would be fine, no harm in overbuilding, I always say. I would probably go lighter, myself, just to save some expense, but heavier is probably easier to weld, and would leave no doubt as to sturdiness. You would gain a lot of strength by adding some corner bracing.

I have been using Rustoleum 'Hammered Steel' spraycan paint in different colors, and it is lasting well on my outdoor pieces.

Reply to
Emmo

Thank you! I think I have a fairly sturdy design but just didn't know what sort of thickness of steel I should be looking at. Thanks for the input. I've used the Hammered Rustoleum on a number of outdoor items and I agree, it seems to hold up pretty well. Thanks for the help! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

The Miller web site has a bunch of good projects that you could look at for inspiration, and to get an idea of what materials others are using and recommending. Post some pictures when it is done!

Reply to
Emmo

Good God, man! Don't even THINK about welding up a log rack without first getting a degree in metallurgical engineering degree and a ten trillion dollar liability insurance policy!

Otherwise, your welds will fail catastrophically, your logs will fall and GET BUMPS ON 'EM and you will be sued!

Don't do it!

Vern> The Miller web site has a bunch of good projects that you could look at for

Reply to
Vernon