Newbie Project

Hiya folks, First time poster here. I'm in the process of teaching myself to use a MIG welder. Unfortunately, the only courses available around here are at hours I just can't make due to work so I'm teaching myself. Anyway, I'm thinking of trying out my learnings on building a Log Rack. To me that would be a pretty simple structure and would also be functional. I really don't have a good feel for the strength of steel so not sure what sort of dimensions I should be looking at for materials. I need to make this thing maybe 10' long, 4' high or so, and maybe 14" deep. I was thinking of using 1x2 box tubing but not sure of what thickness would work ok. Without getting into too many design details, I was hoping that maybe someone here might have some ideas or recommendations for me. Please let me know if this post isn't appropriate for this newsgroup and if that's the case, perhaps a recommendation on where I should post. Thanks very much, jlc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Good choice for a welding project. Most guys make log racks from short pieces of rectangular tubing which they cut and weld together not to make racks, but to make corners. Into the tubing is inserted wood for the vertical end pieces and the horizontal rails and the short horizontal end pieces.

If I were you I'd make it to hold a cord of wood.

If you're going to buy your steel new, I suggest .120 wall material. If you're going to try to use recycled steel, then use whatever you find that's cheap. I most often find old pipe, so that's what I'd probably use were I you.

GWE

James "Cubby" Culberts> Hiya folks,

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Fine place to post, keep reading, keep asking questions.

What kind of MIG welder? Amps? Flux core (gasless) or gas?

1"x2" should be f> Hiya folks,
Reply to
RoyJ

Thanks for the feedback so far folks. Really appreciate it. I bought a Millermatic 175 about 3 months ago (used). I drive a Jeep and it's set up for offroad use and I just got tired of having to hire someone everytime I wanted a bracket or something welded up (or fixed!). I read a lot about welding on the web, bought a few books, and decided I could do this. Unfortunately, I've gotten caught up in multiple projects around the house so haven't had the opportunity to really use it much other than some practice beads. I figure I should have some time in the next couple of months to give it sa serious go and I figured a log rack would be a good start. If my welds break, it's not like the end of the world (vs. welding up a steering bracket for my Jeep!). So thanks for the feedback and help. Looking forward to learning a lot from this group!!! Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson