356 Cast Aluminum Welding

I'm looking for some feedback on welding an engine oil pan, it's made of cast 356 aluminum I believe. I had to cust a section out and now need to weld it back up. Any info on the best process and type of aluminum I should use to make the patch piece? Also wondering if clamping it to another oil pan gasket surface to gasket surface would be good enough to prevent warping? Thanks!

Reply to
Erik

If its been used, your main problem willl be getting it clean.

Degreasing then steam cleaning is a good start, then long slow heat in an oven would make things a lot easier.

Cracked sumps are not that difficult to repair, but cracking may well be a problem if you are trying to replace a larger section.

Ken

4047 filler wire is you best bet. Good stuff for repairing castings.

You will likely have to run the welds a few times. Each time more impurities should boil out.

Just grind out the bad spots with a coarse carbide burr on a die grinder.

Bolt the whole piece to a large steel plate to fight warpage. Preheat the piece to around 500 degF, then weld the crack using as little heat as possible. Then slow cool by wrapping in insulation.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler