ok, got good suggestions for good rod, now....

whats the hardest thing to weld with an AC arc welder? I'd like to try something challenging to help find any poor habits i might be picking up, and i figure that the bad habits will show themselves better when trying ticky stuff to weld.

aluminum? cast iron? box elder? tin foil?

Reply to
Tater

6" schedule 120 pipe in 6g position with 6011 rod
Reply to
digitalmaster

I'll second that. Pipe welding requires a lot of attention and good practice.

I'd say 2" or 4" would be just about as educati>

Reply to
jp2express

Anything thin.

Reply to
Steve B
2" or 4" pipe are usually considered to be harder than 6" to weld properly as rod angle changes faster and the material is thinner which causes it to overheat faster especially with slow travel speed. The 6G position is often allowed for retesting but two pipes are usually required for initial test and it is most often that the horizontal weld is the bend failure caused by lack of fusion. All practice is good.
Reply to
Private