OT: Price of Argon?

Silicon Valley, CA, USA Thursday February 12, 2003

4:09 PM

80 cubic feet of straight argon. A cylinder swap of an owner tank.

US$50.88 including all fees and taxes.

Is this about the same amount of money that you would be charged? Outside of trading up to a larger cylinder, what can I do to limit the cost?

Tanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I'm paying $33 and change for a refill of straight argon on a 125 CF cylinder (swap) at a local independent dealer.

Jim Vrzal Holiday,Fl.

W> Silicon Valley, CA, USA

Reply to
Mawdeeb

Whoa. about 58% less than I pay. That includes all taxes and fees?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I would pay $72 (plus tax) for 249 cubic feet of Argon at Central Welding in Seattle. FYI that much C25 is $75.

Ernie probably gets it cheaper though...

Smaller cylinders would cost more per ft^3.

Jeff Dantzler

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

I get a little off that but not much. Gas is priced pretty close.

They have more leeway in pricing on filler metals than gasses.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Taxes and fees included.

I am fortunate to have three different welding supply dealers in my area. Prices vary wildly and sometimes make no sense at all. One dealer I try to avoid is a company called TRI-TECH. They went fee happy on every invoice. Even tried to charge me a MSDS fee on my lease bottle. Not the refill of the bottle mind you, but the lease agreement itself. I had enough of them.

Hunt around and makem work for your business.

Jim Vrzal Holiday,Fl.

Reply to
Mawdeeb

I recently paid $39.48 for 2 TIG collets and to swap out a 160CF cylinder of pure argon in Charlotte, NC. That's the total including taxes, etc. IIRC the collets were maybe $6-$7 of that.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

The last Argon I purchased for 244 cf was 25.00 each. I pay 11.00+ for a

244 cf oxygen also. Flat 17.00 for 130 cf acetylene. Of course the contractor I work for gets a very good discount on contents and they see to it that we get a better price because of the number of welders he works and the number of bottles that are used on a daily basis.
Reply to
jessp

That was about the same for me. I paid $24 for an 80 cf tank fill (with swap out of tank)in November in central Texas.

Reply to
Tom Doody

Praxair is giving you gas and you know it : )

But you also know they make up for it in the massive amount of other stuff those guys buy.

How is the oil patch work these days?

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Believe me, I know that real well. But I usually only use them for bottles. I go around the corner about a mile and get most of what else I need from Barnes. They are considerably better priced on most things.

Just finishing up a SpliTigator project on the SouthEast Expansion project at the River John. Will be going into Station 36 and Station 38 and running some 12" 24" 30" and 36" replacement piping within the next couple of weeks.

Here are a few pictures of some we have done in the past.........

It is getting harder and harder to work for this small bunch as you are probably well aware of............Take care.......

Reply to
jessp

Now that sounds like a lot of fun, I would really like to pick up some large bore pipe about now. I seem to be stuck in 10" and less land, hoping to escape soon .

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

I just paid $ 17.62 to swap out a 80cf bottle of Argon in NY. That included $ 2.25 haz mat fee and 8.25% sales tax. You must have some awful steep fees in Califooey. I guess thats the price you have to pay for all that sunshine and warm weather.

Reply to
bitternut

So Airgas is where that sunshine and warm weather comes from? Gollleeee. :0)

They charged me 41.00 for 80 cu. ft. gas, 5.00 HazMat fee, a 1.00 'inspection and maintenance' fee and $3.88 tax. 50.88 total.

They didn't charge me 'dealer prep' or 'undercoating' however.

Lucky lucky lucky.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I would really like to know how they can justify charging that kind of money. That's quite a difference in the price of gas. Also the haz mat charge is double. I was kind of PO'D getting charged $2.25. I mean really, what is hazardous about an empty bottle of argon. Its not like you are turning in an old battery. Is that charge a state fee or a federal fee? Maybe they think the coat of paint on the bottle is hazardous. We breathe Argon with every breath we take. They get it from the atmosphere to begin with. As for inspection fee's there are none charged by my supplier. When I bought the bottle they said I would never have to worry about bottle inspections. I just give them the old empty bottle and they give me a full one. I would be interested in hearing why its cost is so high where you are. I am just a hobby type user so its not like I am getting a special discount.

Reply to
bitternut

(Snip)

Me too. I suspect that they figure I have no other source.

Hmmm.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Reply to
onsite welding

Tim,

Where do you get your welding supplies? I'm also in central texas, and the only couple I have found have *very* inconvient hours for my work schedule, and are far enough away from work that 'running over at lunchtime' just doesn't work....

Jeremy

Reply to
JC

I have a fab. shop and also serve as an exchange station for a welding distributor. Their street price for 83 cf is $26.00, 154 cf is $32.00, We do not use either of those sizes, but Argon comes in 336 cf, street price $58.00, I pay $33.00 Argon mix comes 345 cf, street price $64.00, I pay $37.00 All these prices are on leased bottels. I'm shure the price I pay is the result of 3 things

1 I use a fair amount of gas 2 I'm preforming a service for the distributer
Reply to
Rod Ouellette

Yes it is, thank you.

--Winston