MIG Welder Costs?

I bought a Clarke 190EN gas/gasless MIG welder. How big a difference does it make to use it with gas? How does one go about getting gas and how much does it cost?

Any comments appreciated!

GMS

Reply to
gmark

  1. No flux to clean off each weld
  2. You can see exactly how each weld progresses
  3. You wont confuse melted flux with melted weldment

Depends on the size of the bottle. I use (generally) straight CO2..which costs me $12 to fill and lasts more than a year of regular welding. CO2 is hotter than argon, and blows through rusty metal rather well, though it doesnt make as pretty a bead as does C25..which is 75% Argon, 25% CO2

C25 costs me $20 for 127cf and lasts me a few months of regular welding, makes a very pretty bead with good strength

Argon, which is required for welding Aluminum...costs a couple bucks more and lasts a smidge less.

I do Tig as well..so always have straight argon on hand so can swap between Mig and Tig

Gunner

Gunner Asch

First of all, if it is not too late, take the welder back and get a real one. Either a Lincoln or a Miller. The problem with off brands is parts. Lincoln or Miller you can just about buy at a convenience store. You can weld thin stuff with gas, and you can't do that with flux core. You get a better looking weld with gas.

The gas you need will depend on what you are welding. Plain steel uses CO2, and then it goes up to about triple plus for the argon/CO2 which gives a better looking weld with less spatter. Special metals go from there. What did you get with your deal? A regulator?

Now we get into tanks. Buy or lease? Figure a hundred bucks for a tank. You can buy one on the street, but we've talked that to death about leased versus owner tanks, and the advantages and disadvantages of each.

A tank of CO2 goes for around $25. A tank of mixed goes for about $75. How long it lasts depends on how much you use it.

Some starting info, anyway.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Well, it's already bought. But I would go in now and try buying the consumables like gun tips and gas shields, a liner kit for the gun whip, and an extra set of feed rollers for the optional larger (or smaller) MIG wire. (They usually only give you the one set, you have to buy the others.)

If they can't provide all the consumables and optional parts NOW, it isn't going to get any better as the machine gets old. That's when you see about backing out of the machine purchase.

The small sized tanks are all "Owner tanks" and there is no dispute. the 10# asnd 20# Carbon Dioxide, and the ~100 cubic foot or smaller sizes of Argon or Argon/CO2 blend, or the more exotic shielding gases for vvarious uses.

The 20# CO2 is commonly used for soda fountains and beer tappers - and since the beverage industry is getting away from cylinder CO2 at restaurants and bars in favor of cryogenic tanks refilled straight from the tank truck, the small cylinders are plentiful and cheap.

Where you get into a gray area are the 'Full Size' cylinders (the 5' tall ones) that are sometimes leased from the Welding Supply, and sometimes sold to you outright - but you have to keep the receipt paperwork that says you bought it forever.

The Lease cylinders have the name of the owner stramped on the safety cap collar, the owner cylinders do not.

CO2 is in the cylinder as a liquid, so you get by far the most bang for your buck on straight CO2. The others are pressurized gas, and don't contain nearly as much gas volume.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

.