Stuart Victoria Meyer Expansion Valve Drive

Finally got the Meyer Expansion valve drive working on the Victoria

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Hey Steve,

Looks very nice and runs very well. But I'm not much up on the types of valve gear, and not sure what the "Meyer Expansion valve" is, or its purpose . It appears to have both an intake and exhaust valve train. Is that correct?

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

I'm not an expert in steam, but the my best approximation to the Meyer arrangement is that its like an advance / retard mechanism in that it's possible to fine tune th esteam cutoff's. Probably not a great explanation but here is a link which might help:

On some engines theyt are designed for the cut-off to be adjusted dynamically - ie in reponse to load and speed changes, some engines had a seperate fly ball governor to drive cut-off adjustments.

In my model, it will be purely static. At the minute, the lower shaft drives a conventional slide valve and the upper shaft nothing at all!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Hey again Steve,

OK. Thank you. Seems simple enough in theory. Bitch to build and "set".

Always nice watching things that move.

Take care.

Brian Lawson.

Reply to