Building the Stuart Victoria

Don't know if this is of interest, but here is a little metalworking project I've started and it was easier to share the thing by blogging, rather than uploading pictures and random text to the UseNet groups.

Regards

Steve

Reply to
Steve

That is very interesting. Will look forward to reading your blog as things progress. The 1905 engine is fantastic! Any more pics?

Good luck,

-- PaulS

Reply to
PaulS

Nice. Let us know as you make progress.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Greatgrandfather was 10 when he died? I think you dropped a 0 somewhere.

Nice site, back to looking at it.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I had to read it twice -- _Grand_father was 10 when _Great_grandfather died.

Or great grandfather was a prodigy, indeed.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I knew I should have written it in American..., but yes, my Grandfather didn't really know his father and hence little history remains. I do have the lathe the little engine was machined on and some of the parts for a larger engine - 2inch bore x 5 inch stroke. It's no where near the elegance of the little one though, but it will be a restoration project.

For now, the Stuart is burning all free time.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Steve, I built a Victoria some time ago. Engines like this were often on a raised base to allow a flat belt to be run around the flywheel without having to go sub grade. With all the good work you have put into the gears, I probably would have just pulled out the catalog and ordered them. SPI, Berg, and others all have them. Good luck. You will do just fine.

Bob

Reply to
bob_1fs

On the book case at mom's house is an old electric heated steam engine. Probably from the early 50's, late 40's looking at the plug. Have wondered what I would do with it.

Reply to
Calif Bill

That is very interesting. Will look forward to reading your blog as things progress. The 1905 engine is fantastic! Any more pics?

Good luck,

-- PaulS

Here is a close up:

Steve

My catalogue had the set of gears at 100GBP and the large gear would still have needed some machining. Someone suggesting cutting my own using the Parallel depth method, so off I went...

My plan is to complete the Victoria as a larger version of GGF's, which was mounted at floor level. There are a couple of curiousity's about Stuart's Victoria. One is that the Stuart kit has no Stuart branding at all, unlike the vertical engines, which bear the Stuart "S". Another is that the pulley's for the governor spring belt drive equate to bevel gear pitch cones of 60/30, which could be co-incidence. Other details are that the plans show no oil ways on the eccentrics, and certainly no oilcups, even though the eccentric straps are designed to take them.

This is becoming an obession!

Steve

Reply to
Steve