OT: Rant re welding distributors

Ok, I am a small shop, barely buy $ 300 in supplies a month, mostly mig wire and gas. I bought a TD Cut Master 50 plasma cutter from a local, large distributor last March and have nothing but trouble when I go to buy supplies for it. The unit works flawlessly, no complaints about performance. I cant get the yo-yos who sold it to me to supply me with drag tips, and other spare parts. The three largest welding supply shops in town seem to be clueless about small shop needs. The same story when I started using Lanthanated electrodes and TIG/MIG brazing with silicon bronze and aluminum brazing last year based on what I learned on this group. Most of my orders take at least a month to fill and I have had to bring copies of previous invoices to prove that , yes, bronze wire exists and so do lanthanated electrodes, and golly gee, so do drag tips, drag cups and even dual shied in .030 rolls plus aluminum solder/flux.......

I gave up today and tried ordering directly from TD for torch parts. They are not sure that htey can do it. Anyone have a favorite mail order sources for plasma cutter supplies and specialty consumables??

regards rant mode off Jim Riverside, Ca

Reply to
JK

Zap Plasmatherm carries many OEM replacemet consumables for brand name torches at much better prices.

Ernie Leimkuhler

Reply to
Roy J

Yup, sounds like Air-Gas alright.

Reply to
larsen-tools

Definately Zap Plasmatherm...they seem very reasonable in pricing too

Reply to
Doobie

Any time I don't get what I pay for, I do the meanest nastiest awfullest thing I can think of ............... I take my money and go somewhere else. But first, I always ask to talk to someone important and let them know why I am doing it. If I get a bad meal or bad service in a restaurant, I could just walk and not come back. But if I tell the manager, maybe it is just a bad cook or a bad waitress, and I would be losing a good eatery.

If the manager doesn't shape things up, walk. Sometimes you DO get what you want, but you just have to shake the tree until a bigger ape falls out.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Does your Cutmaster 50 use the SL60 torch? My 75 does and I had the worst time getting consumables for it. I just looked for it on the Zap site and didn't find the SL60 listed. Thermal Dynamics did an excellent job with the new Cutmaster 75. It is now a low freq. unit. I have been running a field test for the last 6 months on one and have had no problems with the machine. The only real problem I had was with the start cartridge and they sent out a new improved cartridge no problems since.

Reply to
Sven

I also have a Cutmaster 50 and am glad they included a box of spare parts.

I like

for TIG electrodes, filler rods, etc. They also sell plasma cutter parts but I haven't ordered any yet. The only thing to be aware of is their shipping costs are quite high. But the overall price is less than what I can find anywhere else.

Reply to
AL

Call up the company you bought the unit from and ask for the name and mailing address of the owner/CEO of the company. Send that person a register letter politely asking him/her why your having so much troube getting what you need. If that doen't speed thing up send a copy of that letter by registered mail to the manufacturer of the product you need supplies for, that will almost certainly get the ball rolling. I've had suppliers send me part and at dealer cost or less because my supplier can't or won't service me properly.

I've spent over 30 years fighting bad service and believe me it is very satisfying work. Home Drepot screwed me last month on a $750.00 order. They promised 10 day delivery it took 16 days and I got a $200.00 discount on that purchase and head office in Georgia gave me a 10% discount against any purchase up to $2000.00.

Fighting poor service and defective products has become a very profitable hobby for both myself and my 2 sons. We actually look forward to purchasing poor quality products and services because we almost always come out on top.

Good luck

Reply to
Jimbo

Jesus, how'd you know?? Actually. I've had problems with three welding supply shops in town. If it ain't on the shelf, they don't care. I actually recieved an order for drag tips 3 months after I ordered them. I ordered 55-60 amp tips, they sent ( i don't have the bag in front of me) ? 30 amp tips. Three months late. I paid for them anyway, shrug, I'll use them. regards, Jim

Reply to
JK

No. I got the 1Torch option. Absolutely love it. I had only used a Victor torch on half inch plate before (very limited experience) and the TD Cutmaster 50 and 1Torch are a religious experience. I have not used any other plasma cutter equipment, just a satisfied customer as far as performance.

Yeah, I couldnt find 1Torch parts either.

regards, Jim

Reply to
JK

I knew because I'm in San Diego ........ they're real happy to sell the big ticket stuff but forgetabout the little stuff. At the end of '03 I stopped by for a big spool of .035 mig wire.... I couldn't find it..... "we're out of that"....... "you're not supposed to be out of that".... shrug....... shrug. Or the ever popular, "they have some at our other store (usually 35 miles away)."

Reply to
larsen-tools

Saw a cartoon. There is a man pointing over the counter to an item. The sales clerk says, "Sir, pointing to the item won't do you any good. The computer says we're out of them."

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Consider yourself lucky. EVERY welding supply for more than an hour in all directions is the same damn company (Merriam-Graves), so the only choice available is to go to the internet...

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Reply to
David Billington

Youse starting to sound like Nappa now!!!!

David Billington spluttered in news: snipped-for-privacy@djbillington.freeserve.co.uk:

Reply to
Greg M

"Jimbo" spluttered in news: snipped-for-privacy@golden.net:

Home Despot. ;)

Well done Jimbo.

My sister is one who cracks on credit card cos. She gets a better offer -- her current card(s) usually match it. ;)

Reply to
Greg M

Jim, try this url:

I assume your Cutmaster 50 has the M62 torch like mine does. You will find plenty of consumables for it here. They also have some pretty good deals on other stuff, but they are about the only ones I found which carry the M62 tips and other stuff at a decent price. Seems like welding depot had M62 consumables also.

Regards, Kent

Reply to
K.P.

Pittsfield Welding Supply Inc