Out of Topic : electrical question

I am asking this question for a friend. can any 220 V US made applience or machinery be operated in european countries where 220V is standard household voltage.

with my little electrical knowledge I suggested it can not, because of phase differences and also because of the US 60 Hertz vs. 50 Hertz in europe.
can it be done ?
could some shine some light on this.
thanks.
Take a look at this site: http://goeurope.about.com/cs/electricity /

The short answer: it depends.
The longer answer: After you get over the voltage issue you have the line frequency issue: Appliances that have heating elements are unaffected by 50hz vesus 60hz. Appliances that have AC/DC motors (vacumn cleaners, etc) are usually unaffected by frequency. Serious 60hz motors (washing machine, dishwasher, table saw, etc) have windings that will overheat if used on 50hz. Electronics is all over the map. Later model computers have swiching power supplies that rectify the incoming power to DC then use an inverter circuit to get the necessary internal voltages. Some of these are so indifferent that they can take any voltage from 90 volts to 240 volts at DC to 50hz to 60hz with no adjustments. Other electronics would either not work or fry.
acrobat-ants wrote:

60 Hz motors, transformers, and relay coils will run hotter on 50 Hz. Depending on a number of factors, this extra heating may or may not be a problem for a particular piece of equipment. Obviously, synchronous timing motors (ie electric clocks, phonograph turntables, etc) will run at the wrong speed. Other than those two caveats, and the fact that you'll need different plugs, there shouldn't be any problems.
Gary