overhead 4F/PD fillet + galv - how difficult

Hi
Structural steelwork. T-fillet welds in PD/4F position (one plate vertical; other overhead). The overhead plate is hot-dip galvanised.
SMAW/"stick" welding with 6013 (Rutile) electrodes, which are 3.25mm / 1/8th dia.
Various obstructions in way of straight run and to 45deg angle.
How difficult is this?
The galv makes the arc lilac-coloured and that ripping-rasping. Pushes the arc to the side and doesn't easily "wet" with the weld.
How difficult is this?
In the PB/2F, use plenty of Amps and you can "blast" your way through it. Overhead - limited with the Amps? "Blasting your way through the galv." cannot be strategy?
I found weld towards yourself so you can see the weldpool shape, and do whatever you have to do with the manipulation to make the weld "wet" and spread evenly over both plates.
How do you see a situation like this as described?
Being in the UK, there is no possibility of using 6010's. 7018's I might cause to happen.
???
Rich S
I'm not much into code welding, but I would only attempt that after I ground off the zinc.
Health concerns and just really poor welds over zinc would be my reason.
Randy
wrote:

Remove 333 to reply. Randy
Hi Randy There was a constant sea-breeze and the structure was very "open" - columns and trusses - so almost uniquely in this case no zinc fume problem. Given these were short transverse fillets and you could sight end-on along the length of the weld... Running 6013 on DCEN (as recommended), welding towards yourself and watching the weldpool bridge the fillet, doing a bit of weaving and puddling of the weldpool to keep a well-formed weldpool - gave welds which were judged as meeting requirements. I'd got on a fixed-shade visor for clearest view (not an autodarkener as you'd use for MIG welding) and my "cheater" lens, for a view about as clear as daylight.
I also took my own "stinger", which the crew I was working with really liked when they tried it - when we were left-and-right on one item, passing the clamp back-and-forth. I gave the impression of a person who knew what they were doing. So that has a standard "male" bayonet-fitting, a couple of metres / yards of a lighter cable and a Norwegian-made pipe-welder's electrode-clamp - very compact for not getting in the way and very firm grip, so can bend electrode to point exactly where you want and it stays that way. Lightness and compactness while leaning around in incredible postures positional welding over the sea - it all came together.
It was a good time, and the agency talking with the client got almost a eulogy about how right I was for the job.
Thanks for comment.
Rich S