[VIDEO] I had an interesting fail -- steel cabinet collapsed and fell

This cabinet had been in my shop for something like four years and its load did not change much. It sat by the door. Then one day it suddenly collapsed, totally unprovoked, probably due to high winds.

Kind of amazing, shit happens when you expect it the least.

Ignoramus13612

Well, that is a little unusual, as it had a steel back, not the typical 4 verticals with just a couple cross braces. I've had a few of those either fail completely, or start to show signs of twisting, and I readjusted the cross braces to resist the twist. Your cabinet clearly twisted also as the first part of the collapse.

Well, sorry for the mess all over the floor.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

It is shocking a top loaded shelf pressed out of sheet metal could wobble and fall over.

Never seen one of those fall apart before.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader