shield neck from arc UV

Working in the UK, I can wear a boiler-suit most of the time while welding. Neck of boilersuit sometimes "un-pops", and even with overhang of visor, can get a bit of a tan on neck. With general steel fab., lots of twisting-around welding in awkward corners, etc. Moments when neck catches UV? What do you do to protect neck?

I was thinking - for motorcycle riding we have a stretchy tube of fabric we call a "snood". Anything like that for welders?

Not a crisis, but would appreciate finding a good method.

Rich S

Reply to
Richard Smith

How about an SPF 70 sunblock?

Reply to
Bill Martin

I do most of my welding on a bench, and get similar issues. I use a cotton bandanna when I do anything beyond using a high collar shirt for welding. Usually, I just used the shirt though.

BobH

Reply to
BobH

How about a snood from a motorcycle shop? All you need is something comfortable that won't catch on fire -- so, a cotton snood rather than a poly-melts-into-your-skin-whatever snood.

I kinda like Bob's bandanna suggestion.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Remove the cuff from a leather welding glove, cut it to fit covering your neck and attach it to the bottom of your weld shield. Let it hang loose so air can move through. Easy and quick.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

you need to get a proper welding mask that covers your neck, or add a flap of fabric to the mask.

Ignoramus3784

Thanks for all responses. Regards - Rich S

Reply to
Richard Smith