Payback begins !

I just finished the first paying job with my new TIG welder . Guy had me weld a broken outer crankcase from a Honda CR125R . Oil was a problem , as expected . Solvent cleaned it with naphtha then acetone , then when it was dry I lit up on it with about 40 amps , 35% cleaning and 180 Hz . Got a spot in the middle of the break hot , let it boil some more of the oil out before I tried to puddle it , and it worked ! . Took it slow and easy , plenty of cooling-off breaks , and got a pretty nice clean bead all the way from one edge to the other . Also had a hole that needed filling , looked like someone had hamered a screwdriver thru it . That one was in a difficult spot , would have preferred welding it from outside then cleaned up the inside , but the outside was down in a crevice , and I don't do tight places so well yet .

Reply to
Snag

Good work Sir! i never manage to get all if the oil out of a crack in casting first time. Always have to clean out the first shitty weld and start again. You're really lucky it wasn't a mid 70s to early 80s CR. they had magnesium crankcases plus other parts too. Fireworks in the shop? You bet! Cheers, JB

Reply to
JB

I've welded a lot of magnesium in my shop and never had a meltdown. You must of course monitor the temp but most importantly you must clean up any chips from die grinding before welding. And keep that torch over the weld till the postflow runs out. Mag is the most easily welded metal, IMO.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

I've never even TIG welded cast ali at all yet. Only bar and sheet stock (6083 if I recall). I know what you mean about keeping the torch over the weld until post flow gas timer expires. Move away too quickly and mag will light up! I watched this happen to a welder I know who was doing my own clutch cover. I've not got enough experience yet with TIG. I really must make the time to do an evening course at college.

JB

Reply to
JB

I learned a lot by watching the videos from

. The guy that does them , Jody , makes understanding the controls and techniques used easy . And if you miss a fine point , you can rewind and watch it again ...and again ... And then it's practice , practice , practice until your welds don't look like a pigeon took a dump on your plate . I welded stuff together and then cut it apart to inspect and weld together again . I wonder how all that 5356 and 4043 is going to behave when I melt those pieces down to cast ... -- Snag

Reply to
Snag

Thanks for the link. Guess I'll get even less sleep now...... ;>)

JB

Reply to
JB