Plasma cutter question

Can any one help with the following question? Will a Lincoln Procust 55 work using a gas powered 220/240 volt generator? What volume/pressure of compressor air is required for one of these units?

Thank you Tom

Reply to
Thomas Csibor

All modern plasma cutters are inverter based. Some can deal with generators and some can't.

Usually any generator 10Kwatt or greater is fine. The tiny generators can blow some inverters.

I suspect your Lincoln should be able to deal with a generator.

For air you will need about 10 cfm at 50-60 psi.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Many thanks for the reply Ernie. I am in a situation where I have to cut part of a car apart, but it is not where I am and there is no 220VAC power there.

Regards Tom

Reply to
Thomas Csibor

No specific experience here, but my Powermax 600 works fine off an 8kW generator. Might not have had the amps turned up all the way though. Keeps a 13A 230V compressor pretty busy, probably running about 30% of the time when cutting. I've tried a 15A 110V compressor, it worked if the cuts weren't too long, otherwise had to do some waiting for it to catch up.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

To get the "full range of use" with the Procut 55 Lincoln recommends the Commander 300 rated at 10 kW. Check the power rating for your generator to see what it puts out. The air supply needs to be a constant 70 psi for cutting and probably a little less for gouging. At least 360 SCFH for the compressor to keep up. Jim

Reply to
Jim

I suspect the current waveform gives the trouble. Non-sine like.

I wonder if a preloaded generator would function better -

That is - load the generator to say 25% or so of what you think you will use - so the generator is delivering more current of what it needs to for the welder. Then when the welder current pulse turns off the load keeps up the generator and so on. The current will vary still but in a different ratio. An electric floor heater is one thought. A motor is another. It might be to reactive, but might work best.

If it won't work by itself, try additional loading.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn