Plasma Cutter question

Recently purchased a plasma cutter. Did research and bought a PowerMax 600. Did not realize or think about the mess it would create on the floor until
after I bought it. My wife would kill me if I messed up the garage or driveway floor. Anyway, I need a cutting table. My question is how much distance is needed below the cutting surface to catch the debris. If it is only a short distance such as 4-5 inches would all of the sparks and debris fly back up? Do i need more distance. I see that Northern Tool has a welding table meant to catch slag/debris. It looks only a few inches deep. Would this do or would it be inadequate/dangerous. Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Barry
Barry wrote:

I'd build a sand box that fit under the work surface. I don't know the other versions.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn

A 4 inch deep pan, with an inch of sand in the bottom, should work fine.
Thanks For the info.
Barry

Barry wrote:

Have a look at mine: < http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/_2002_retired_files/WELDTBL.TXT
Ted
Ted Edwards wrote:

Thanks Ted - looks like a functional model. I think I'll make one somewhat like that.
I was defining a sand box for a 4' x 4' CNC Plasma Torch table. Gravel from a Gravel Yard in an elevated tray might exceed the limits of the metal legs.
The table has limitations when 1/2" plate steel is the object to cut. :-)
Thanks, Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Mine only has an inch or so of gravel in the bottom of the tray. I thought I might need more but after some years of use there appears to be no need.
Ted

Site Timeline

  • - the site's newest thread. Posted in