Plasma Cutter question

Recently purchased a plasma cutter. Did research and bought a PowerMax 600.
Did not realize or think about the mess it would create on the floor until
after I bought it. My wife would kill me if I messed up the garage or
driveway floor. Anyway, I need a cutting table. My question is how much
distance is needed below the cutting surface to catch the debris. If it is
only a short distance such as 4-5 inches would all of the sparks and debris
fly back up? Do i need more distance. I see that Northern Tool has a
welding table meant to catch slag/debris. It looks only a few inches deep.
Would this do or would it be inadequate/dangerous. Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Barry
Reply to
Barry
I'd build a sand box that fit under the work surface. I don't know the other versions.
Martin
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
A 4 inch deep pan, with an inch of sand in the bottom, should work fine.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
Thanks For the info.
Barry
Reply to
Barry
Have a look at mine: <

Ted
Reply to
Ted Edwards
Thanks Ted - looks like a functional model. I think I'll make one somewhat like that.
I was defining a sand box for a 4' x 4' CNC Plasma Torch table. Gravel from a Gravel Yard in an elevated tray might exceed the limits of the metal legs.
The table has limitations when 1/2" plate steel is the object to cut. :-)
Thanks, Martin
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
Mine only has an inch or so of gravel in the bottom of the tray. I thought I might need more but after some years of use there appears to be no need.
Ted
Reply to
Ted Edwards