Q: Al Filller 4047

ran out tonite to pick up some alum filler rod -- all the welding shop had left was 4047.. i've seen it here recommended for castings, so i picked up a few pounds.

i tried it on plate Aluminum. the weld beads looked .. 'funky'.. it *looked* rough but felt smooth to the touch. sort of like big 'grain'

curious: is this a weaker weld? should i use 4047 ONLY for castings, or can i use it on plate AL in a pinch?

(i ordered the regular stuff, but am anxious to keep the practice up)

thanks,

-tony

Reply to
tony

4047 is a good alloy for castings because it has twice the silicon content of 4043. This reduces the melting temp, and shrinkage, while increasing the fluidity and wetting action.

It is almost as strong as 4043. You can use it as a general filler rod, but that is kind of a waste considering how hard it can be to find.

Nice stuff. I buy it whenever I find it.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler